How do I "take over" my Deceased Grandmothers reverse mortgage?

Asked over 2 years ago - Philadelphia, PA

My grandmother has been deceased for 3 yrs, no one else in the family has any concern for it. I am assuming proof of relations, also is there a way to get some sort of inheritance document for the house?

1. John B. Whalen Jr.

Pro

2

1

Answered . As I read your question, a Power of Attorney is not the answer. Powers of Attorney cease at death.

At this point, you need to have someone be appointed as Personal Representative (Executor or Administrator - only difference is with or without a Will).

Until someone is appointed in that capacity, another 3 years will pass again.

Good luck,

John

John B. Whalen, Jr., Esq. provides free initial home consultations seven (7) days per week, including all evenings, weekends, and holidays, from 7:00 AM to 10:00 PM. Mr. Whalen is an AV Peer Review Attorney and Counselor at Law, is listed in The Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers, and is Avvo Rated 10.0 Superb. Mr. Whalen has spoken for the Pennsylvania Bar Institute and the Delaware County Estate Planning Council, and has had his legal articles published by the Pennsylvania Bar Institute, the Pennsylvania Law Weekly, and the Martindale.Com website, and he has had his law blogs published on the Lawyers.Com website.

2. Jan Matthew Tamanini

2

Answered . If the house was titled in your grandmother's name alone, who has been paying the taxes on the property since she died? A tax lien could take the property for the local government to sell at a sheriff's sale.

If she had a surviving spouse, and the house was titled to them as tenants by the entireties, the house now belongs to her surviving spouse without the need for an estate to be opened.

If your grandmother shared title to the property with anyone else, that person (or those people) would have a claim to at least their proportionate share of the property -- and if they were joint tenants with right of survivorship, your grandmother's interest in the house passed to the other owner(s) upon her death.

Of course, as with all of my online answers, my advice is limited by the brevity of your question and the facts provided. Additional information would be required to provide definitive legal advice, so this answer isn't intended to, and does not, create an attorney-client relationship.

Good luck!

If you feel this answer has been helpful, please consider checking the "mark as helpful" box below.

3. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Pro

2

1

Answered . You would have to start a probate proceeding and be a beneficiary in order to inherit the house. You would then have to qualify for the reverse mortgage.