How do grandparents get custody of their grandchild who is in foster care?

Asked about 1 year ago - Franklin, MA

Our daughter lost custody of her 2yo to DCF. We, as her grandparents are more than willing and able to take temporary custody. DCF is dragging their heels and not returning our calls. We want our poor granddaughter out of foster care asap as I am sure it is traumatizing for her. Is their any way we can speed up this lengthy red tape procedure?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Thomas J Callahan

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Apply for guardianship. When doing so, you can seek a temporary appointment that is near immediate. No guarantee, though. Judge has to weigh what is on the best interest of the child, not you or parents. Major issue is whether you will enable contact with parents if that has been restricted or eliminated. DCF would have done that for a reason and neither DCF or court will allow you to circumvent that or be enablers for the parents. Parents still have to adhere to DCF service plan.

    To questioners from West Virginia & New York: Although I am licensed to practice in your state, I practice on a... more
  2. E. Alexandra Golden

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . In addition to Attorney Callahan's suggestion, you may want to contact the child's attorney, since it is the attorney's job to advocate for what the child would want

    E. Alexandra "Sasha" Golden is a Massachusetts lawyer. All answers are based on Massachusetts law. All answers are... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,203 answers this week

2,969 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,203 answers this week

2,969 attorneys answering