Skip to main content

How difficult to Renew a Green Card after deny due to not filed I-751 foam.

Silver Spring, MD |

I was a conditional resident and my status was expiring
when I filed I-90 foam March 6, 2012. We did not know we have to file I-751 foam until we got a denied letter. Now we have to file I-290B foam and we do not what to do and how difficult situation we are in.

I am in a situation that we need to file I -290B form. I was a conditional resident and my status was about the time to renew when I filed I-90 foam March 6, 2012. My temporary green card was expired March 9, 2012. I got a letter for interview, so I did it on May 10, 2012. We did not aware of that we have to file I-751 form until we got a denied letter July 16, 2012. Now we have to file I-290B foam and we do not know what to do and how difficult situation we are in.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Easy answer - call an immigration attorney! You stated that you don't know what you're doing - the best advice is that you should consult with an experienced immigration attorney!!

VOSBIKIAN & VOSBIKIAN, L.L.C. (856) 755-1400, e-mail: - Offices in Atlantic City, Cherry Hill, Newark, and Trenton, NJ. Please consult with a licensed immigration professional to provide you with a thorough legal advice. This response is not a substitute for specific legal advice and it should not be construed to create an attorney-client relationship. Please visit and share this site:


It will be hard to defend an "I didn't know" position.

The other attorney is correct, you need to consult with an attorney.

Many of us use Skype and there is a good chance that an indepth-consultation may be enough to get you on-track.
Franco Capriotti
Capriotti International Law

FORMER IMMIGRATION LAW PROFESSOR -- LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.


You would file an I-290 if you were appealing the denial of your I-90. But the I-90 was properly denied, so what are you going to appeal? You need to consult with an immigration attorney very soon, and see if you can file an I-751 late. When filed late, you have to specifically ask the USCIS to accept it late and give a good reason why it was filed late. You are in a pretty difficult situation, but not hopeless, so please get help and don't try to do it yourself.


An I-751 can be filed late under certain circumstances. Consult with an
experienced immigration attorney who can review your case and advise you
how best to proceed. From what you describe, it sounds like you have
already wasted enough money and the filing of an I-290B will just add to


The other attorneys have provided excellent advice. If you would like to have an in-person consultation, I am located in DC. You may be placed in removal (deportation) proceedings. It would be wise to file a well-documented late I-75--the appeal will just be a waste of money.

This general information does not establish any attorney-client relationship. There may well be factors not mentioned in the question which could and should be addressed in an attorney consultation.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer