How difficult is it to get your unreturned security deposit (or double) back from landlord.

Philadelphia, PA |

It's been just over six weeks since I moved out, and returned my key. I was homeless for a couple weeks, so it has been thirty three days since I gave him my new address. I've aksed for the SD back, twice now. I believe that if I wanted, the law says that I'm entitled to twice my SD back? Is that true? We left the house much better than we found it, and have received no list of damages from him. If this is the case, and I could get double, how would I go about it? Would it be a lengthy court scenario? Would it not be worth my time?

The Pennsylvania law that in some circumstances entitles tenants to two times their security deposit is called the "Landlord Tenant Act". You might want to look at Section 512.

If you decide you want to take legal action to recover your security deposit, this will likely require you to file a complaint against your landlord in district court, which is sometimes called "small claims court". It may or may not be worth your time, depending on how much is at stake, whether they defend against your claim, and whether there's an appeal from district court.

Landlord-tenant topics