Skip to main content

How did somebody can disolve a marriage that they have in the US when they already back in their country?

Miami, FL |

I post several times my boyfriend's case here and want to thank everybody that help me with the answers.For those that doesn't remember,he came here with a fiance visa and marry his wife,but they never adjust his status,after 5 years they split and she accused him of domestic violence just because she was mad when he ask for the divorce.Thank god our attorney was great and the case was dismiss by the state. Then ICE took him to krome,he ask for the voluntary departure and was granted.His going back to his country this week.Now the problem is that he wants to divorce and we dont know how he can do it from over there,Also wants to know how long he have to wait to come back if i go to his country and marry him,im a US citicen.Any advice will be appreciate.Thanks.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Its divorce questions you should posted at divorce section.

  2. If he is back in his homeland, he will have to file before he leaves Florida or he is deemed to no longer be a resident of Florida. He will then need to contact a lawyer in is homeland as to the procedure for securing a divorce.He needs to discuss this with a Florida divorce attorney before he leaves.

    Legal disclaimer: The statement above is provided by CC Abbott is based on general assistance and not intended to be a legal opinion because not all the facts are provided. The person requesting information and all others reading the answer should retain an attorney who is permitted by the state bar within the jurisdiction who can examine the complete facts and provide a legal opinion on your case. All information provided in the above answer and other information provided by CC Abbott does not create an attorney/client relationship within any state of Federal law.

  3. You should consult a divorce attny where he currently resides and then an imm attny. Take care and good luck.

    Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics