How could they see me as a suspect just because I was the last person to see the murder victim...?

Asked about 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

And, how did they even find me or how did my name even come up? Few days ago some detectives came to me and told me a friend of mine is dead. I didn't believe them so I said how could he be dead I just saw him the day before. They asked what time I saw him, what happened, and so on. I told them everything then all of a sudden now I'm a suspect!!! There is no reason for me to kill him! He was a friend, why would I do that? Now the detectives won't leave me alone... What do I do? They keep telling me to go down to the station to talk to them... I very respectfully declined, but now I'm just annoyed, they wouldn't stop. Maybe I should go talk to them to get this sorted out... what would I say... where do I begin? How do I make them believe me? I want to help them find the person who did this.

1. Antonio Arturo Cota

8

1

Best Answer

Answered . If police are focusing their investigation on you, you absolutely should not talk to them for any reason whatsoever. Even if you are not arrested, your statements may be used against you even without any Miranda advisement because you have not yet been arrested.

You should immediately contact an experienced criminal defense attorney to protect you.

2. Samuel Eugene Spital

Pro

10

Answered . In the question you asked you noted that you were the last person to see a murder victim and now "you are a suspect." If that is true or one has a reasonable belief he is a suspect of a crime, and/or there is a pending investigation by law enforcement, you should immediately seek advice from a criminal defense lawyer.

I do not know a single criminal attorney who would permit his client to be "interviewed" by law enforcement under the circumstances you describe because it would more likely constitute an INTERROGATION. This is not a format for discussion.

Not only could anything you say be used against you unless you were advised of your right to first speak with a lawyer (the Miranda warnings that must be made by the police or sheriffs), it is possible you might make inconsistent statements as well. There is no requirement for you to participate in an alleged "interview" as any such discussion would more likely be lengthy and at some point you might make statements you later wished you had not, only falling victim to the abusive techniques that have in some cases led to admissions or a confession for individuals who just want to end the confrontation and examination.

Regardless, you need to retain an experienced criminal defense attorney NOW. It is not your job to "get this sorted out" and/or to "make them believe me" as you seem to desire. It is understandable that you want to help find the person who killed your friend, but this is not the way.

Again, you should retain legal counsel before doing anything else.

3. Greg Hagopian

8

1

Answered . Unless you are a victim of a crime Never Ever EVER talk to the cops.

4. Elliot Rahmim Zarabi

Pro

7

1

Answered . Sometimes you are not even really a suspect. They are just trying to scare you. Just because you were the last person to see someone doesn't mean anything. All it means is that after you saw them, someone else may have killed them.

They probably want you for questioning to try and interrogate you and coerce you into making a false confession or making a statement that would incriminate yourself.

My advise to you, is do not go about this on your own. This is a serious crime (most serious) and the police detectives are trained to trick you into answering their questions.

Remain silent, because you have a right to and invoke your right to an attorney.

Elliot Zarabi
    www.FreeCriminalConsultation.com
    213-612-7720

5. John Leif Fossum

9

Answered . You need a lawyer on your side. Talk to a good criminal defense attorney before you talk to the police again.

6. Brian Russell Michaels

Pro

5

Answered . You absolutely cannot and must not speak to detectives or anyone for that matter without a lawyer present. You should also not post your comments here. Obviously this is the most serious criminal case you can be involved in. You should hire counsel now to assist you and not speak to anyone. You should consult with a lawyer immediately. We would be happy to give you a free consult.

Brian Michaels
    www.socalcrimdefense.com
    3109919179