How could I obtain a copy of the police audio/video transcripts?

Asked over 2 years ago - Whittier, CA

Police were not interested in my side of the story. Which happens to be the truth. I have nothing to hide. However, the Officer who had already decided my fate. Before he turned to walk out of the room. His last words to me were.. There's nothing you can say, that's gonna get you out of this! Nothing will save you! Not even a Lawyer!!! I doubt that unforgettable send off got documented. "Quick to Convict"

1. Isileli Tupou Manaia Mataele

1

Answered . If there are any then you could subpoena it or a records request if there is no case. Honestly, the investigating/interrogating officer thinking you were guilty of it, has no value to you especially not in interrogation which is normal.

2. Joshua Kaizuka

Pro

1

Answered . If you are charged with a crime, your attorney will be able to obtain any interrogation video or audio that exists through the discovery process. If you are lucky enough not to be charged with a crime, then it will be much more difficult and you should consult a civil rights attorney if the cirumstances of what happened rises to a level of damages to be worth pursuing or, if a civil rights organization in your area is interested in taking on the case. Unfortunately, there are too many published cases that conclude that law enforcement can say a lot of things in the interrogation process to try and get a confession or admission and there is nothing wrong with that. Good Luck!

3. Nicholas Basil Spirtos

Answered . Were you charged with a crime? If so, then you should get an attorney, or the public defender. They will be able to get whatever audio or video recordings are available.

If you were not charged yet, but are under investigation, it will probably not be possible to get anything until the investigation is closed. But you could try a freedom of information act request or find a civil rights attorney and he could try a subpoena.