How come the department of human services determine I own child support even though I am up to date with payments?

Asked about 1 year ago - Addison, TX

Got a letter from the MS child support enforcement a month ago alleging that I owed a lot of money on child support. I would have to be negligent since the child support settlement was stipulated by the judge in OK to reach what they said. An attorney advised to return the letter, and so I did, and I have proof of payments. Today I got another letter from them saying that the department of human services has DETERMINED that I owe the amount stipulated in the first letter. But, how is that even possible if I’ve been making the payments since the very first month I was ordered to do so? i called, but got no help , especially when I said I had proof of payment and that it has been 2 years since the last time I saw my kid. They just said there's a case with that department. What can i do?

1. Jacqueline R. Kriebel

Pro

1

1

Best Answer

Answered . Did you pay the child's mother informally? If so, then you can ask her to sign an affidavit of payment and submit to the AG's office. Otherwise, you will have to prove to them that you paid support.

2. Michael Andrew Garbe

Pro

Answered . If you have proof of payment for the child support, then you need to supply that proof to the agency if you have not already done so. If this does not alleviate the problem, then you should consult with an attorney.

3. Karen L. Marvel

Answered . You need a lawyer in MIssissippi to address this issue. I agree with the other lawyers about affidavits of direct payments but you need to make sure the administrative process is not binding on you at this point. It's very different from state to state so you need to find someone in Mississippi to help you. Good luck.