How can you prove parental alienation?

Asked over 1 year ago - Lynnwood, WA

My 15 year old teenager and I were always close from the very beginning then we had a custody change. While we were going through the court process I was granted visitation and phone calls then after the trial phone calls started to get less and less. When I call to speak with my son my ex is yelling in the background telling my son he doesn't have to talk to me. My son's attitude is different towards me. He blames me for everything, makes up things that never happened, says the same things my ex has said in court papers. Say I was never a parent and never loved him. I call on our schedule days and no one picks up phone. Ex also tried to stop me from getting medical and school records the court granted me. What do you need to prove one parent is alienating the child from the other parent?

I believe telling such lies about me, degrading me to our son and interfering with the relationship with my son and I that it is going take a professional to mend the relationship. Will a judge condone this behavior? Could my ex loose custody? What type of proof do I need to prove parental alienation and get custody maybe?

1. Dave Hawkins

Pro

2

Answered . Expert testimony from a treating therapist. Please be advised that the idea of parental alienation is falling into disrepute. To be succesul, you will most likely have to hire counsel.

2. Bruce Clement

Pro

1

Answered . What you describe certainly seems like a clear case of alienation. You should consult with a good attorney about your options. You might be able to modify the parenting plan and get a court order authorizing counseling by a reunification counselor. It’s always best to consult with a good family law attorney to discuss the details before you act. See my AVVO Legal Guides on modification of parenting plans and parental alienation for more information about the legal issues raised by your inquiry. Click on my photo. On my AVVO home page click on "View Contributions" or scroll down further and click on "Legal Guides." Scroll down the list of my 29 Legal Guides and select the topics relevant to your question. If you like my answer and Legal Guides, please make sure you mark them as “helpful.”