How can you prove parental alienation?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Lynnwood, WA

My 15 year old teenager and I were always close from the very beginning then we had a custody change. While we were going through the court process I was granted visitation and phone calls then after the trial phone calls started to get less and less. When I call to speak with my son my ex is yelling in the background telling my son he doesn't have to talk to me. My son's attitude is different towards me. He blames me for everything, makes up things that never happened, says the same things my ex has said in court papers. Say I was never a parent and never loved him. I call on our schedule days and no one picks up phone. Ex also tried to stop me from getting medical and school records the court granted me. What do you need to prove one parent is alienating the child from the other parent?

Additional information

I believe telling such lies about me, degrading me to our son and interfering with the relationship with my son and I that it is going take a professional to mend the relationship. Will a judge condone this behavior? Could my ex loose custody? What type of proof do I need to prove parental alienation and get custody maybe?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Dave Hawkins


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Expert testimony from a treating therapist. Please be advised that the idea of parental alienation is falling into disrepute. To be succesul, you will most likely have to hire counsel.

    Please note that THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and are for informational purposes only. This... more
  2. Bruce Clement


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . What you describe certainly seems like a clear case of alienation. You should consult with a good attorney about your options. You might be able to modify the parenting plan and get a court order authorizing counseling by a reunification counselor. It’s always best to consult with a good family law attorney to discuss the details before you act. See my AVVO Legal Guides on modification of parenting plans and parental alienation for more information about the legal issues raised by your inquiry. Click on my photo. On my AVVO home page click on "View Contributions" or scroll down further and click on "Legal Guides." Scroll down the list of my 29 Legal Guides and select the topics relevant to your question. If you like my answer and Legal Guides, please make sure you mark them as “helpful.”

    This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you... more

Related Topics

Child Custody

Child custody involves decisions about who will be responsible for a child, including parental rights, for both married and unmarried parents, and adoptions.

Parental rights in child custody

Parental rights includes the rights a parent has in regards to his or her children. Mothers, fathers, and unmarried parents are sometimes treated differently.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,495 answers this week

3,430 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,495 answers this week

3,430 attorneys answering