Skip to main content

How can you have an absent parents rights revoked in PA?

Washington, PA |

I want to see if there is a way to revoke my son's fathers rights. He's not listed on the birth cert, it says "Father Unknown." I attempted to stay to work things out with him until my son was 1 1/2. But do to an abusive situation I got away and put a PFA on him and he's not seen my son since. My son is now 8 going to be 9 in February. The "father" is in prison in another state on assault charges on 2 other females that got knocked down from attempted murder and kidnapping because he "pleaded" out. He's recently attempted to contact me and my son through letters, but my son doesn't want anything to do with him. Can I have his rights revoked without naming him on the birth cert or is there any way to have his rights revoked at all?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


You cannot terminate a parent's rights until there is someone who will adopt that child. If there is someone who will adopt and there has been no contact for the period of time you state then you have a chance of termination. The fact that he is trying may create a challenge, but the bigger unstated matter is if there is someone who wants to adopt your son to step in his father's place.

THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVISE SPECIFIC TO YOUR SITUATION. Answers provided here are general in nature and no one should rely on an answer provided here. You should always consult an attorney in person to determine your rights and what course of action you should pursue before doing so.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer