How can you get yourself kicked out of Drug Court (Pinellas County)?

Saint Petersburg, FL |

I have never been in trouble before this, but I received my first felony possession of cont. sub. a year and a half ago and because i couldn't complete rehab i fear that the judge in that division will send me to prison over it. I missed a court date back in September after getting kicked out of the halfway house and have had a warrant since.

You can opt out of drug court if you do not wish to complete the requirements. If you were in the drug court PTI program, you will not be able to get PTI in a "regular" felony division but there are other options. Because you have an outstanding warrant, and do not want to remain in drug court, you should consult a criminal defense attorney as soon as you can so you can be advised on what to expect and what your options are at this point.

The attorney's responses to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. For a free consultation, contact the Law Offices of Powers Sellers & Finkelstein, PLC. at (855) PSF-firm.

wish i could, tried to opt out after i lost my pti... apparently i cannot do so now that i have plead to probation

The answer to your question really depends on whether you entered a pre-trial drug court program or a post plea drug court program. In other words- did you plead guilty or no contest to the possession charge before you entered the drug court program or was your case just put on hold while you complete the program. If you have not entered a plea and this was just a pre-trial diversion type of drug court program then the Judge can not do anything except send your case back to court to start back where you were before you started the program. If you already plead, the Judge may be able to issue sanctions for your failure to complete drug court. Either way, you are probably making things worse by "absconding" since September. You should speak to a criminal defense attorney in your area and then turn yourself in sooner rather than later.

it started as a pre-trial diversion type and i was in the "pti" program but after failed drug tests in the outpatient rehab i was doing, and more time in jail I was sentenced to another rehab "halfway house" but in order they told me in order to receive this program i had to plead to regular probation instead of pti or in other words they were revoking my pti. I remember deciding not to opt out and possibly do 60 days in jail, and instead my public def. convinced me to stay and get the help. After getting kicked out of the halfway house I went back to jail, then they wanted me in a 18 month inpatient rehab but the wait was 6 months and I had to wait "in custody for bed space". I told the judge i wanted to just do my time and my offer was 14 months (started at 24). So after just one technical violation i went from looking at doing a couple months to over a year.

The other Attorneys have provided you some good advice. The simple answer to your question is that you can get kicked out of the Drug Court Program for getting kicked out of the halfway house. You have a warrant now and when you get picked up on the warrant you may get sentenced, but that depends on your Drug Court contract etc. Many variables involved.