How can you get an occupational driver license after getting a DWI?

Asked over 2 years ago - Killeen, TX

got a DWI and Suspended license for 6 months need license to get to work

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Charles Elwood Soechting Jr.

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You need to hire an attorney (or contact your previous attorney) to file a petition for an occupational drivers license. There will be restrictions placed on you because of the DWI and you'll likely have to have a deep lung device or interlock to ensure that you're complying with the law but this will allow you to get to work and back. Hire a lawyer.

  2. Matthew Ryan Montes

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . In addition to your attorney filing a petition for an occupational license, you will need to get a special insurance from your insurance company called an SR-22 (they'll know what it is), and pay a reinstatement fee to DPS. Your attorney will be able to go over those details with you.

    No attorney-client relationship is established by this posting. The information provided by the this attorney on... more
  3. John Matthew Leace

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . Contact your local DMV. They will be able to tell you the minimum requirements to get a DL or at least a work permit.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,552 answers this week

3,194 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,552 answers this week

3,194 attorneys answering