How can you get an occupational driver license after getting a DWI?

Killeen, TX |

got a DWI and Suspended license for 6 months need license to get to work

Contact your local DMV. They will be able to tell you the minimum requirements to get a DL or at least a work permit.

Charles Elwood Soechting Jr.

Charles Elwood Soechting Jr.

Don't call the DMV as the court in your county will have to sign an Order ordering it be issued. Call a lawyer in Texas to handle this.

John Matthew Leace

John Matthew Leace

Oops, I didn't realize I stumbled out of the state specific questions and thought this was a Florida question. Listen to Mr. Soechting, as a Texas lawyer, he'd know better than I would.

Charles Elwood Soechting Jr.

Charles Elwood Soechting Jr.

I've done the same thing a time or two. It's always interesting to learn the differences in different states .

You need to hire an attorney (or contact your previous attorney) to file a petition for an occupational drivers license. There will be restrictions placed on you because of the DWI and you'll likely have to have a deep lung device or interlock to ensure that you're complying with the law but this will allow you to get to work and back. Hire a lawyer.

In addition to your attorney filing a petition for an occupational license, you will need to get a special insurance from your insurance company called an SR-22 (they'll know what it is), and pay a reinstatement fee to DPS. Your attorney will be able to go over those details with you.

No attorney-client relationship is established by this posting. The information provided by the this attorney on this website is not legal advice and visitors are encouraged to consult with an attorney before making any decisions regarding their legal issue.

Get Avvo’s 3-part DUI email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

DUI topics

Recommended articles about DUI