How can you force your union to revote the contract

Elwood, IL |

we voted down the compants last offer and the company locked us out july 16th. the union and co. met for 7 hours and changed 2 of thw 4 issues all about language and insurance none over money. since the first meeting they met for 45 seconds and have not met again. the major amount of rank and file want to revote but it falls on deaf ears is there any way to force the union to let us revote

I don't practice law in Illinois. I am assuming you are a union covered by the National Labor Relations Act and fall within the jurisdiction of the Labor Management Reporting and Disclosure Act (LMRDA) which has certain rights for union members. The first place I would look to is the union's constitution and bylaws. If that doesn't help you may want to speak to someone at the U.S. Department of Labor Office of Labor Management Services (OLMS) and see if they can offer any assistance. You're going to need competent legal advice if you decide to challenge your union.

Recommended articles about Employment