How can you find out if someone has guardianship over someone

Asked almost 3 years ago - Ormond Beach, FL

I have recently have taken in a women thats mentally handicap. The last group home she lived in she was abused.Now the person who is over her has said she can live here.My problem is I thought the women over her was good, but Im starting to have doubts theres been quite a few red flags about her now. What I was wondering if there was a way I can find out if this women has guardianship over her. I know she is the truste of her money or something like that, Which I could careless. My problemis if she can tell her where to live. Because my husband and I and our children so love her.The lady can keep the money. We would just like to know Please if there was any advice you could give us.What a great site this is by the way, Thankyou :)

1. Debra G Simms

Pro

Answered . You can call the Clerk of Court, Probate Division, in Volusia County. Their phone number is:(386) 257-6000 ext. 5914

You can also search their website at: http://www.clerk.org/info/ClerksOffice.html

If you need any further assistance, call Debra G. Simms at 407-331-4529

2. David L. Carrier

Pro

Best Answer

Answered . Guardianship is granted by the probate court, so if someone actually IS the guardian, there'll be a record of the appointment and the reasons for the appointment at the local probate court.

3. Juna Madray Pulayya

Answered . The Probate Division should be able to assist you.

JMP Law, P.A.
    Juna M. Pulayya
    www.jmplawyer.com
    junior@jmplawyer.com

4. Donald Joseph Quinn II

Answered . I suggest you contact the local probate court and check their records and see if there has been an adjudication of incompetency for your friend and if in fact a guardian or conservator have been appointed for her. It might be that your friend signed a DPA for this person in which case, if your friend wasn't adjudicated incompetent, she could revoke and possibly name you. Just depends. You might need to retain an atty.