How can you find out if someone has guardianship over someone

Asked almost 3 years ago - Ormond Beach, FL

I have recently have taken in a women thats mentally handicap. The last group home she lived in she was abused.Now the person who is over her has said she can live here.My problem is I thought the women over her was good, but Im starting to have doubts theres been quite a few red flags about her now. What I was wondering if there was a way I can find out if this women has guardianship over her. I know she is the truste of her money or something like that, Which I could careless. My problemis if she can tell her where to live. Because my husband and I and our children so love her.The lady can keep the money. We would just like to know Please if there was any advice you could give us.What a great site this is by the way, Thankyou :)

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Debra G Simms


    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . You can call the Clerk of Court, Probate Division, in Volusia County. Their phone number is:(386) 257-6000 ext. 5914

    You can also search their website at:

    If you need any further assistance, call Debra G. Simms at 407-331-4529

  2. David L. Carrier


    Contributor Level 18
    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Guardianship is granted by the probate court, so if someone actually IS the guardian, there'll be a record of the appointment and the reasons for the appointment at the local probate court.

  3. Juna Madray Pulayya

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . The Probate Division should be able to assist you.

    JMP Law, P.A.
    Juna M. Pulayya

    Legal disclaimer: This response does not create an attorney-client relationship. You should not use, interpret, or... more
  4. Donald Joseph Quinn II

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . I suggest you contact the local probate court and check their records and see if there has been an adjudication of incompetency for your friend and if in fact a guardian or conservator have been appointed for her. It might be that your friend signed a DPA for this person in which case, if your friend wasn't adjudicated incompetent, she could revoke and possibly name you. Just depends. You might need to retain an atty.

    Legal disclaimer: This answer does not constitute legal advice. I am admitted to practice law in the State of... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,176 answers this week

3,158 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,176 answers this week

3,158 attorneys answering