How can you convince a landlord to change his or her about an eviction even after there has been an order to vacate?

Asked about 2 years ago - East Rockaway, NY

In other words, how can you legally convince them that what caused the eviction wil never happen again and that you will be a good tenant ever after and give them a good reason to take you back?

Additional information

Even you are pschyically out, what would be a bona fide reason for the landlord to take you back?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Steven Warren Smollens

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Dear how can you convince?

    Perhaps you should engage an attorney. I believe you made a similar inquiry, yesterday, and I answered your question as did two other attorneys. I requested that you follow up on my answer with information about the type of case that brought you to court, and how you concluded with a judgment and warrant of eviction.

    Here is a copy of my earlier answer:

    "***Dear can an eviction be reversed?

    If the underlying eviction case was a holdover proceeding, and the lease (cooperative proprietary lease) was terminated on a ground of lease default ( and not on a ground of nuisance or objectionable conduct) and your cooperative is a private cooperative ( not a city or state Mitchell-Lama), you already had an automatic further additional ten (10) day period to correct the proven lease default and to restore your tenancy to good standing. If you allowed that period after judgment and before the issuance of the warrant of eviction to expire without making the correction to the claim of lease default, then there is not much chance that you can restore or save your tenancy.

    The trial court, or your attorney, likely explained to you after you lost the trial, (again unless you were found to be a nuisance or an objectionable tenant) that New York State Law in New York City (only) allowed for the additional cure period.

    New York Real Property Actions and Proceedings Law section 753 (4) provides:


    4. In the event that such proceeding is based upon a claim that the tenant or lessee has breached a provision of the lease, the court shall grant a ten day stay of issuance of the
    warrant, during which time the respondent may correct such breach.

    If you provide more information about your case and when you lost the trial in a comment, I may be able to provide additional information.

    Good luck.***"

    So if you can, please follow up with information.

    The answer provided to you is in the nature of general information. The general proposition being that you should... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,615 answers this week

2,876 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,615 answers this week

2,876 attorneys answering