How can we stop the counties from creating their own laws that create income for them? What about statute of limitations?

Spanaway, WA |

A building inspector came to my home and placed a red tag stop work order on my fence. Now they tell me I owe them 1000 in penalties for not getting a permit for an existing building that has been here for at least 60 years (rough cut 2x4) and an additional they state is attached to the mobilehome. They demanded I get a permit for these so they can come out and inspect. One building has been up for 11 years and the other has been for 60. My neighbors called some number and reported it. No one really knows when either building was put up and they are holding us responsible for the permits. What can we do to stop them from charging us 1000 in penalties? We are below the poverty level and I believe they are trying to force me out of this home. What happens if I ignore it?

1. Taking your questions in reverse order, if you ignore it, it won't be good, just like ignoring some strange growth on your body wouldn't be good and for the same reason.

If you are truly at the poverty level, you should be able to get a public assigned counsel, public defender, legal aid or pro bono attorney to assist you. Ask at the Court Clerk's office or call the local bar association.

As to the merits, and your first question, generally speaking, for constitutional reasons (relating to the prohibition on "ex post facto laws"), if your building or structure existed prior to the zoning ordinance or building code whose violations are being complained of, the building is "grandfathered" and the municipality nor your neighbors can take action against it or require compliance or fine you for noncompliance. The neighbors or the code enforcement officer might not know this, however, and it's up to you to prove it to them.

A simple call or visit to the code enforcement officer might make this problem go away. Take whatever evidence you have that the building existed before the ordinance (old photos, etc.) if you have it, if you don't, your testimony may be enough. The municipality should have tax and assessment records that document the year of initial construction.

This answer is provided under the Avvo.com “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of other attorneys on Avvo.com are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue. I can only answer your question based on the brief statement of facts you present in your question which may omit other relevant facts which would be disclosed in an in-person interview. While I attempt to provide reasonable care in answering your questions in an online forum which encourages attorneys to provide brief "off the cuff" responses within several hours of the posting of a question, I cannot perform any further detailed legal research concerning possibly relevant statutory or case law which might apply to your situation that I would normally do in the course of my representation of clients where an attorney-client relationship exists (and you are paying for my services!). You should therefore not rely solely upon legal information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at http://www.avvo.com/support/terms . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1, available online at http://jackle.bo/_prof ) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the Avvo.com site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".