How can we stop the counties from creating their own laws that create income for them? What about statute of limitations?

Spanaway, WA |

A building inspector came to my home and placed a red tag stop work order on my fence. Now they tell me I owe them 1000 in penalties for not getting a permit for an existing building that has been here for at least 60 years (rough cut 2x4) and an additional they state is attached to the mobilehome. They demanded I get a permit for these so they can come out and inspect. One building has been up for 11 years and the other has been for 60. My neighbors called some number and reported it. No one really knows when either building was put up and they are holding us responsible for the permits. What can we do to stop them from charging us 1000 in penalties? We are below the poverty level and I believe they are trying to force me out of this home. What happens if I ignore it?

Taking your questions in reverse order, if you ignore it, it won't be good, just like ignoring some strange growth on your body wouldn't be good and for the same reason.

If you are truly at the poverty level, you should be able to get a public assigned counsel, public defender, legal aid or pro bono attorney to assist you. Ask at the Court Clerk's office or call the local bar association.

As to the merits, and your first question, generally speaking, for constitutional reasons (relating to the prohibition on "ex post facto laws"), if your building or structure existed prior to the zoning ordinance or building code whose violations are being complained of, the building is "grandfathered" and the municipality nor your neighbors can take action against it or require compliance or fine you for noncompliance. The neighbors or the code enforcement officer might not know this, however, and it's up to you to prove it to them.

A simple call or visit to the code enforcement officer might make this problem go away. Take whatever evidence you have that the building existed before the ordinance (old photos, etc.) if you have it, if you don't, your testimony may be enough. The municipality should have tax and assessment records that document the year of initial construction.

This answer is provided under the Avvo.com “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of other attorneys on Avvo.com are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue. I can only answer your question based on the brief statement of facts you present in your question which may omit other relevant facts which would be disclosed in an in-person interview. While I attempt to provide reasonable care in answering your questions in an online forum which encourages attorneys to provide brief "off the cuff" responses within several hours of the posting of a question, I cannot perform any further detailed legal research concerning possibly relevant statutory or case law which might apply to your situation that I would normally do in the course of my representation of clients where an attorney-client relationship exists (and you are paying for my services!). You should therefore not rely solely upon legal information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at http://www.avvo.com/support/terms . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1, available online at http://jackle.bo/_prof ) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the Avvo.com site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".

Hello, your intelligence in your answer seems kinda dumb. The government was designed to help the people not help themselves in the peoples pockets. Of course, you use to getting into peoples pockets as it is obvious that when you come up with a dumb answer like that....more than half of your clients were probably screwed after they paid you. There needs to be a limit to idiot attorneys. Or attorneys who lose more than they win. I wouldnt hire you for anything. I bet you agree with the USE TAX.....another idiot tax made by wrongful persons in the government

Jack Richard Lebowitz

Jack Richard Lebowitz

Sticks and stones, dude. If you don't like "big government" telling you what to do, you can always move to Somalia and see how that works out for you.

Jack Richard Lebowitz

Jack Richard Lebowitz

p.s. You asked this question about 10 months ago, so it seems that whatever you did or did not do wasn't that much of a problem. But thanks for wasting our time for providing free answers to theoretical questions.

Its in the process of class action. Dont like attorneys who think they are someone when they dont do anything for the public.

Jack Richard Lebowitz

Jack Richard Lebowitz

Yeah, me either, like when I read the lawyers doing a class action against BigCorp are getting millions and ths schlubs in the class like me get a coupon for $4 off my next purchase. :-)

The reason people become attorneys is to either defend someone or to help someone in a dispute where they think they are right. This country has allowed criminals from the 20's through the 50's to enter the government by allowing people associated with or family of certain people who were convicted of Racketeering, embezzlements, murder as well as forcing people to pay for insurances and many more criminal issues to become members of the government. If you look at Nixon and compare to Bush family, there are many similarities as to how each gained great amounts of money. The tax money the public pays each year into a slush fund which only a few have access to. Such as Counties. as well as States and the Department of Social and Health Services is another but does help the public in a crude way. You have a choice to make big changes instead of dealing with piddly little chump change issues. I do not have a change because the government in which I live within has set me up to look bad. Based on Judges who were also wrong minded as well as cops who cant get off the adrenalyn issue of work and act like a peace officer. If you look at our government now it is nothing but a penwar against the public. Those who support it usually have government jobs. The US Constitution has been trampled all over since Hitler came to America in the late 20's and still the government is finding voters who will support a bill so stupid and so unconstitutional that they pass. Then it takes millions if not billions to remove such BS. And that is where our tax money goes. To issues the public does not bring up...but only the legislature. You are still young and smart enough to make a dent in the corruptive part of the government. However, people who stand up and take notice and act upon it.....usually end up dead in some way or another. Who cares about the coupon.....your coupon says get out of NY before the buildings come tumbling down upon you. There is going to be another war and all beach locations are being aimed at. Look at the amount of metals China bought. Look at all the restrictions America placed upon itself by the EPA and the other outfits who sit on their duffs and pass paper around like they know what they are talking about Global warming. Simiple, quit logging off the freaking trees and quit laying cement down in patches the size of southern California. Good luck on your destination

Jack Richard Lebowitz

Jack Richard Lebowitz

Well, we may agree on more than you think, but it's probably going to be more along the lines of agreeing the current political situation sucks but disagreeing on the reasons why. Big picture, I think it sucks because a few hundred billionaires have hijacked the political process since Reagan with their "free market"/anti-government rhetoric (except where the government benefits them, such as crony capitalism, war/defense spending, starting useless wars in Asia, free trade, allowing monopolies, smashing organized labor, suppressing wages, favoring capital over labor, etc.). My bete noir are folks like the Koch Brothers, Walton family, CEOs, bankers. Yours may be different. But if you think "lawyers" are part of this ruling oligarchy in general, you are sadly deluded. And if you are tying this into the possible incompetence of local building inspectors, zoning and your issue with the fence, well, let's just say that petty officials and police often abuse their powers viz a viz the little people with no political connections, but that your issue isn't part of any grand conspiracy that the folks who get together at Davos or the Bohemian Grove or CPAC to discuss care about or have anything to do with. You'd find the same corrupt little tin horn officials in any number of third world countries, only here you can't get them to buzz off with a small bribe to add to their salary because they're all about having a bit of power over their fellow serfs.

Jack Richard Lebowitz

Jack Richard Lebowitz

Oh, not only rhetoric (propaganda, Fox news, astroturf Tea Party, but unlimited pools of dark money flooding the political process and buying Senators, Congressmen and Governors and the Supreme Court and Citizens United, "corporations are people my friend". If by "lawyers" being part of this conspiracy you mean Supreme Court Justices Scalia, Alito, Roberts and Thomas, well I'd agree with you there that "lawyers suck". But the average lawyer with his shingle answering questions on Avvo has no more clout than you do in the overall scheme of things in the US of A.

I agree 100 percent with the above. Yes, attorneys....not you but those mentioned. Not pointing any fingers. However, lawyers of your structure can cause a little penwar by using your intelligence to sort out the junk and get to the big stuff. I think maybe finding a link in a Judges or politicians family relating to those involved in the criminal activities during the 20's through the 50's. Al Capone had many associates who worked for him while he was in the clinker. As well as others who were convicted during that time period. Though your conversation has words usually outside my vocabulary, and common sense tells me what they mean, this is quite a wonderful intelligent conversation. Learned law by book reading for 6 years. Studying cases that lost that should have been won. I on my own, formatted a form for long timers who have enough time to fight misdemeanors as well as gross misdemeanors. I did the fill in the customer did the notarizing and foot work and 98% of my cases won. I even included dismiss with prejudice. This sorted out the crooked judges who stood for the prosecution. I can see that a mile away by how much the Judge agrees with prosecution or the Atty Gen. Especially against the public who has no money. My issue with the county, and you can address this issue as well. To defend the public against county offices who do not provide a service they claim they are providing. Such as in my issue is SWS Storm Water Services. Meaning based on their 100 homes they surveyed on 100k homes or more will provide 107$ a year for a service they supposively provide. this is a property tax issue not voted on but added in as a service. The county here does not provide any service to any home for any reason. Only allowing certain companies to do work in areas of concern. Where there is a tax issue and the county goes around voting in order to add it to the tax bill of the public, it is called racketeering. If we can stop one small issue like that .... in every state, every county, and the public starts to get the idea of what is really going on....then it creates a harder avenue for the crook to add another tax to the public. A certain Act needs to be made to prevent such atrocities to our system. The government has its good points but when you buy a piece of land and have to be told yes you can do this or no you can not.....and the public has no say so in what they do with the property they pay for ...... then you really dont own the property as the County or State has made it possible for them to be able to sell your land out from underneath you .... based on their laws. Before these new laws came into effect, people were proud to own a piece of land and do what they wanted to. Such as build a beautiful farm, or home or what ever. Without having to get a ....what? A permit. Meaning A PERMISSION from the county to do as they want. Regardless, your car is yours. No law says you have to have a permit to fix a door, or add a vent, or install a fart fan. But soon, as it looks, them damn pencil pushing stupid people sitting there inventing another way to create free money because of some stupid reason they come up with....will do it. These are called useless laws of the land. No one needs them and based on the history of land owners, most always make their land beautiful by using their own common sense. Anyway, time to go out and cut up my 3 years of firewood. Maybe in time we have to have a permit or permission to cut a down tree..... Oh, one last thing. The legislature was developed to aid the public during the civil war. IT was said that they would terminate offices when the civil war was over. I dont see any civil war going on at the present time......why is the legislature still in effect?