Skip to main content

How can we reopen a case that was closed for child molestation in Texas?

Jasper, TX |
Filed under: Child abuse

We are the Grandparents raising two children and they were sexually abused by Mom and ex boyfriend . Police decided to close case and now we still don't have any justice to the suffering the kids are experiencing . They need to be in jail ! This happened in Visor Texas .

Attorney Answers 3


There may not be a criminal law avenue available to you for your grandchildren. Police or district attorneys usually have discretion about what cases to prosecute. There are numerous reasons why a law enforcement agency might choose not to prosecute alleged child molesters that may have little to do with whether the abuse occurred and more to do with whether the decision-making officials believe they have sufficient evidence to get a conviction.

You can try talking with the prosecuting attorney for the county in which the abuse took place or contact child protective services. You could also speak with a personal injury lawyer about suing the abusers on behalf of your grandchildren. It may be that repose and an end of the suffering the kids are experiencing might be better obtained through mental health counseling or trauma treatment for them.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your area who regularly practices in the subject matter which your question is about. You should develop an attorney client relationship with the lawyer of your choice so that your communications will be subject to the attorney client privilege and have the other benefits of a professional relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific matter as partially described in the question.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


You can always file a civil lawsuit. You can not use the threat of a criminal prosecution to encourage settlement in a civil lawsuit but if the civil lawsuit uncovers information or evidence then that can be provided to the authorities who, hopefully, will take a second and/or more serious look at the case.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


You could also go directly to the district attorneys office in your area to try to find out why charges were not pursued. They may not tell you, but it may have been because of incorrect or missing information.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Child abuse topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics