How can we go back to immigration court after asking for voluntary departure?

Asked over 2 years ago - Dallas, TX

My father recently had an immigration court in which he was representing him self and he was extremely nervous. The judge apparently gave him a chance to fix his immigration status but due to the fact that he was nervous and has difficulty hearing he declined and asked for the voluntary departure but he has changed his mind and now wishes to take the immigration fix. What can we do to go back to court and go for legalization instead?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Gen Kimura

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree with my colleague.

    This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice.... more
  2. Dhenu Mitesh Savla


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes. Hire a lawyer to reopen the case.

    good luck!

  3. Robert West

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Hire a lawyer and try to reopen. If he had a remedy but was not advised by the govt or judge, this can be a ground for reopening.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,201 answers this week

3,001 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,201 answers this week

3,001 attorneys answering