How Can we get tenants out of our family home in a rent controlled city (San Francisco)?

Asked 6 months ago - San Francisco, CA

My grandmother owns her home and there are tenants that occupy the house now. I need to move in the home as I have been issued a no-fault eviction (in a non rent-controlled city) and I have 30 days before I will be considered homeless. We do not have the $10,000 that the rent control law states we need in order to have them relocate. Are there any ways around this?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Shaye Larkin

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . There are no ways around the San Francisco rent ordinance if it applies in this situation. Moreover, this is a very pro-tenant city and tenants fight hard in eviction case. Your grandmother would be best served by hiring a very experienced attorney to help with the eviction to ensure it is done properly.

    The information provided herein is general information only and not legal advice. The information provided herein... more
  2. Stephen Ross Cohen

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . I agree the principality of San Francisco is well known and feared. Consult with a good attorney and see if you can avoid a war with the socialists. Hire Ms. Obama if she is available.

    My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA.... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,449 answers this week

3,046 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,449 answers this week

3,046 attorneys answering