How Can we get tenants out of our family home in a rent controlled city (San Francisco)?

San Francisco, CA |

My grandmother owns her home and there are tenants that occupy the house now. I need to move in the home as I have been issued a no-fault eviction (in a non rent-controlled city) and I have 30 days before I will be considered homeless. We do not have the $10,000 that the rent control law states we need in order to have them relocate. Are there any ways around this?

There are no ways around the San Francisco rent ordinance if it applies in this situation. Moreover, this is a very pro-tenant city and tenants fight hard in eviction case. Your grandmother would be best served by hiring a very experienced attorney to help with the eviction to ensure it is done properly.

The information provided herein is general information only and not legal advice. The information provided herein does not create an attorney client relationship and is not a substitute for having a consultation with an attorney. It is important to have a consultation with an attorney as the information provided in this forum is limited and cannot possibly cover all potential issues in a given situation.

Christine B. Adams

Christine B. Adams

Great Answer, right up your field of expertise.

Shaye Larkin

Shaye Larkin

:) Thank you :)

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Hire Ms. Larkin. She is the best bankruptcy attorney in CA

Shaye Larkin

Shaye Larkin

:) Thank you Chris :) I only represent tenants though - not landlords, sorry :)

Shaye Larkin

Shaye Larkin

In bankruptcy cases I DO represent both landlords and tenants but in landlord/tenant matters I only represent tenants.

Landlord-tenant topics