How can we (my sister and me) reduce the inheritance taxes?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Stockbridge, GA

My mom hold a real estate under her name. How can we (my sister and me) reduce the inheritance taxes when she pass away? If my sister and me have an agreement how to separate the inheritance, does this agreement need to address by attorney?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Georgia does not have an inheritance tax, but if your mother is fairly wealthy ($5 million+) then there might be an estate tax issue. She definitely needs to consult with an attorney to put together an estate plan. This way she can make it much easier on you and your sister, and also plan to reduce or eliminate the estate tax, if possible.

  2. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Your mother needs to consult a local attorney who practices in tax and estate planning to determine her options. Once fully informed, her attorney should be able to develop for her a tax efficient plan to pass the real estate and any other property to you and your sister, assuming it is her desire to do so.

    Yoak Law, P.A. is a business and tax law firm serving clients throughout the State of Florida. If you need help... more
  3. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . As has been pointed out, GA has no state inheritance tax. The federal estate tax exemption for 2013 is $5,250,000. If your mother's estate is larger than this, you need to seek an estate planning attorney and consult an accountant, to provide professional tax advice. Avvo is a great site, but if your mother has this size wealth, you need to seek individual, professional, tax advice.

Related Topics

Deed to property

A deed is a written document describing a piece of real estate and documenting the transfer of ownership from one person (the grantor) to another (grantee).

Real estate

The term real estate means land and items permanently attached to it, like buildings. This area of law deals with who has the right to own and use these items.

Avvo advisor logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 15-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $39 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Advisor span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now