Skip to main content

How can the father of my child have his name added to her birth certificate?

Greensboro, GA |
Filed under: Birth certificate

The father of my child was not present at her birth. He does not want a paternity test and says that he knows she is his child and he wants me to add his name to the birth certificate and have her last name changed to his. I have no problem with this I just don't know how to go about it. Thank you.

Attorney Answers 2


The answer depends on the age of the child. It is possible, before age 1, in some cases, to correct a birth certificate directly with vital records. After that, you need a lawyer, and will need either to have him file a legitimization (he has to file that), or perhaps you could do a petition to correct the birth certificate (the former option being better than the latter).

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


As my colleague said in his answer, depends on the age of the child. As the mother, you can consent to the legitimation, at which point the judge, upon proper filing, can approve the petition to legitimize. However, it is possible for the judge to mandate a paternity test. It could be an easy process for you, or it could get complicated. You should consult an attorney to guide you through the process.

Mark as helpful

Birth certificate topics

Recommended articles about Birth certificate

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics