How can resolve my bench warrant?

Louisville, KY |

I was arrested in 2006 for 1st offense DUI and possession of paraphenelia. I had never been arrested before, and I was unfamiliar with the court system. I went to court and was unofficially advised by the judge to plead not guilty (bc the results of my breathalizer were not in my file). I hired an attorney who said he would appear in court on my behalf bc I lived, worked, and went to school 3 hrs away. After my court date, I contacted him repeatedly and left messages, but he never returned my calls. Eventually, I just assumed the charges had been dropped. I was young and confused. I just did a background check on myself and discovered I have a bench warrant for my arrest. How can I resolve this issue? Will I go to jail if I attempt to resolve it?

1. You need to hire another attorney to handle the case. That attorney should be a DUI specialist. That attorney should also contact the first attorney you hired to find out what happened. You may have a bar discipline complaint against the first attorney if he did nothing except take a fee and not protect your interests. On the other hand, if you failed to keep in touch with the first attorney the fault may be yours.

A bench warrant will not go away. If you are stopped by the police you can be arrested and held in jail. You need to get it cleared up right away. Your license may also be suspended because of the bench warrant. Get experienced DUI counsel right away.

DISCLAIMER- THIS IS NOT INTENDED TO AND DOES NOT CONSTITUTE LEGAL ADVICE AND DOES NOT ESTABLISH AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP. CONSULT QUALIFIED LEGAL COUNSEL IN YOUR CITY OR STATE FOR IMMEDIATE LEGAL ADVICE.

2. As Wayne indicated above, contact an attorney for this, do not risk going at this alone. Best of luck to you.

3. Hire a Louisville lawyer. The lawyer can pull your case file, review what happened prior to the issuance of the bench warrant, and get the matter back on the docket for resolution. He may even have the bench warrant recalled before you appear (depends on several things).

If you show up by yourself, you greatly increase your chances of becoming a guest of the County.

If you ignore it, one Friday night when it is least convenient, you will get pulled over for speeding, or having a brake light out; the officer will run your name, find the bench warrant, and you will likely stay in the Jefferson County Jail until Monday.

Do not wait for that day. Get it resolved now.

If I can be of assistance, please contact me using the link to my website below.

DUI topics