How can Old National bank put a lien on my house after I filed bankrucpty on them and the debit was discharged..

Asked over 2 years ago - Muncie, IN

The loan was a car loan that was my daughters in 1999, I am sorry to say I co-signed the loan......

I was told by Citi Mortgage that Old national sued 1/05 and a lien was put on my house then.... However I was never notified of this suit, was i to be notifed or what.... I am being foreclosed on home and I found out in april that of the lien on the house.... I tried talk to the law office about what Old national and the foreclosure and all i got was a smart mouth answer that were not helpful.....

1. Eric Charles Lewis

Answered . In Indiana, a judgment automatically becomes a lien against real property that you own in the county of the court that rendered the judgment. Your bankruptcy attorney should have filed a motion to avoid the lien and have it stripped as part of your bankruptcy. If you had too much equity in the home at the time of your bankruptcy, it is possible that the lien was not eligible for avoidance.

2. Juan Antonio Perez Jr.

Answered . Your additional information says the lien was entered based on a judgment in 2005. I assume you filed bankruptcy after the judgment was entered.

It is possible the lien could have been avoided in the bankruptcy. Of course you have to know about a debt/lawsuit to properly list is on your bankruptcy. Sounds like you were not aware you had been sued. Yes, they should have served you with a copy both at your home and by mail.

That said, if you are in foreclosure and planning to walk away from the home, then it doesn't much matter that there are additional junior liens against the home. If you are trying to save the home from foreclosure, then the first mortgage is your primary concern. Once you can satisfy them, you can worry about doing something with the judgment lien later.

3. Michael J Corbin

Answered . The short answer is that they should not be able to file a lien on a debt AFTER it was properly discharged. Did they sue you and obtain a judgment? Youll need to provide a lot more detail.

4. Mitchell Paul Goldstein

Answered . When did you file for bankruptcy? Were they ever notified about it? Are they foreclosing or is someone else (this goes to damages)? If someone else, will there be any equity if the lien is invalid (again it is about damages)?

You need to see a local consumer law attorney with the details.