How can my wife be sued for unjust enrichment from claiming money from unclaimed money after her foreclosure years ago?

Flushing, NY |

My wife in 2001 did a foreclosure. About 4-5 years ago she was approached that she had available to her unclaimed money from her foreclosure. She agreed to have that individual collect that money for her in court, and she got half of it.

Now an insurance company is claiming she owes over 50k for unjust enrichment for collecting when they had to pay the bank what ever funds for the foreclosure. How is this possible and what can we do to defend? I'm having issues trying to search for similar cases online and cannot find a similar case where a person who claimed unclaimed money is being sued for unjust enrichment.

1. It depends on who this individual is that collected this money. It is highly recommended for you to speak with a contract attorney in a confidential forum regarding your wife's possible defenses.