How can my girlfriend live and work in the US?

I'm a U.S. citizen and my girlfriend currently lives in the U.K. We met a year ago and fell in love, and have been going back and forth, traveling together ever since, but now we want something more permanent. How could she obtain a work visa to live and work here for more than a few months? She has a masters in political science and currently works for the local government in London. We really love each other, and would be willing to get married if that's what it took, even if it's sooner than we would have chosen. I really appreciate any advice; this stuff keeps me awake at night.

Greensboro, NC -

Robert Louis Brown

Robert Louis Brown

Immigration Attorney - Cleveland, OH

If there is an employer willing to petition for her and she has a proper credentials. It may be possible to obtain a visa based on employment.

If you are not ready to be married, but would like to marry within the next 6 to 12 months you may petition for your fiancée using a fiancée visa. She should be permitted to come to the united states,within about 5 to 7 months. When she arrives in United States you will need to be married within 90 days.

Sponsored Listing
Karen-Lee Pollak

Karen-Lee Pollak

Immigration Attorney - Dallas, TX

She could try find a US employer willing to sponsor her for a work visa otherwise marriage or perhaps an E2 investment visa if she has some funds ot invest in a US business

Carlos Andres Lopez

Carlos Andres Lopez

Immigration Attorney - Charlotte, NC

I would add that you should consult with an attorney to discuss all your options, i.e. if you get married in the U.K., if you get married when she is visiting you here in the states, if you file for a fiancee visa, etc. I would be more than happy to meet with you, since I am relatively close to you with my Charlotte office. My consultation is free. My office number is 704-577-0568.

J Charles Ferrari

J Charles Ferrari

Immigration Attorney - Los Angeles, CA

I agree with my colleagues.