How can my girlfriend live and work in the US?

Greensboro, NC |

I'm a U.S. citizen and my girlfriend currently lives in the U.K. We met a year ago and fell in love, and have been going back and forth, traveling together ever since, but now we want something more permanent. How could she obtain a work visa to live and work here for more than a few months? She has a masters in political science and currently works for the local government in London. We really love each other, and would be willing to get married if that's what it took, even if it's sooner than we would have chosen. I really appreciate any advice; this stuff keeps me awake at night.

If there is an employer willing to petition for her and she has a proper credentials. It may be possible to obtain a visa based on employment.

If you are not ready to be married, but would like to marry within the next 6 to 12 months you may petition for your fiancée using a fiancée visa. She should be permitted to come to the united states,within about 5 to 7 months. When she arrives in United States you will need to be married within 90 days.

If we were get married after she came over on a fiancée visa, would she have to go back to the UK? Or could she stay and work towards a work visa or green card?

Robert Louis Brown

Robert Louis Brown

once your fiancée is in the United States and you are married you complete the process for permanent residence 'Green card' while she is in the United States. During the process she may receive work authorization.

Okay. That's a possible outcome, and probably the most likely. It seems very difficult to have someone petition for your work visa unless you work for a multi-national company that will transfer you. The land of opportunity is not so easy to get to apparently. Thank you very much for your advice.

Lisa R. Brenman

Lisa R. Brenman

I agree with all these comments and add that the fiance' visa may take a bit longer than 5-7 months.

She could try find a US employer willing to sponsor her for a work visa otherwise marriage or perhaps an E2 investment visa if she has some funds ot invest in a US business

I agree with my colleagues.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

I would add that you should consult with an attorney to discuss all your options, i.e. if you get married in the U.K., if you get married when she is visiting you here in the states, if you file for a fiancee visa, etc. I would be more than happy to meet with you, since I am relatively close to you with my Charlotte office. My consultation is free. My office number is 704-577-0568.

Marriage and prenups topics