How can my felony be dropped a felony from a misdemeanor?

Asked about 5 years ago - Las Vegas, NV

I was charged with possesion and obtaining credit cards without the cardholders consent. Is there any statute could dismiss my charges or get it dropped to a regular misdemeanor. I was offered getting dropped to a gross mesdemeanor but thats not what I want.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Greta Muirhead

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . You have to cut a deal with the DA or your attorney and the DA have to cut a deal. If you don't like the DA's offer, you can go to Trial.

  2. Howard Woodley Bailey


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . The authority to downgrade a charge is with the prosecutor. Your few facts do not indicate whether this downgrade was offered through your attorney, or whether you are representing yourself. If you are not represented, I urge you to consult with an experienced criminal defense lawyer before you make any decisions on how to resolve the case, as the lawyer can advise you, among other things, on whether this plea offer is the typical downgrade for the charge, or whether there are any other alternatives based upon a complete understanding of the facts of the case. Good luck.

    This response does not constitute legal advice. Given the nature of this website, it does not create an attorney-client relationship. This answer is provided solely for informational purposes, for you to use as a starting point when speaking directly with a lawyer in your State. I urge you to immediately contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice law in your State before you make any decisions about this case.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,950 answers this week

3,092 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,950 answers this week

3,092 attorneys answering