How can my congressman help with my I-601 hardship waiver?

Asked 9 months ago - San Diego, CA

Hey there! My wife got two bans in Juarez this week, misrep and smuggling (I need to fight this last one, because it is not true).

I was wondering: How can my Congressman help in my case? I know my congressman pretty well, and he knows my community work, because I'm a very active journalist in San Diego.

I contacted his office before we went to Juarez, and they were willing to help any way they could.
But how can he really help me?
Any suggestions are welcome.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Your Congressman can make an inquiry, but he cannot reverse a decision by the US Consulate.

    Mr. Shusterman's (former INS Trial Attorney, 1976-82) response to your question is general in nature, as not all... more
  2. Giacomo Jacques Behar


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Amigo, your Congressman's "help" in Juarez will not even amount to a pack of refried beans..especially so with an alien smuggling ground of inadmissibility, which is a "lifetime" "bar" (not a "cantina") . Soon you'll have to choose, am afraid:
    1. New wife, or
    2. Move to some godforsaken place I'm Mexico.. Sorry.

    Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,514 answers this week

2,981 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,514 answers this week

2,981 attorneys answering