How can my boyfriend apply to become a legal U.S. resident and NOT have to leave for ten years?

Asked over 2 years ago - Northeast, MD

My boyfriend of four years has two young children. He has been caring for them since day 1. He is their only support system. Their mother died about a year ago in a car accident, but even before that he had full custody of them. They live in his home, he works every day to provide for them and myself. He wants to become a legal resident but he also doesn't want to have to leave his children for the time it takes for the application process to be complete or uproot them from their surroundings. He wants to do it right but fears he will be taken from his children and they won't be sufficiently cared for. Help!

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Giacomo Jacques Behar


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . He needs to consult with an immigration attorney in his area, who will examine his individual situation and properly advise him about the options available in his situation.

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be... more
  2. Tsirina Goroshit


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Consult with immigration attorney for detailed evaluation of a case.

    The above is intended as general information only and cannot be relied upon as legal advice. Laws change... more
  3. Virginia Giselle Alvarez

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . There are many factors that ate considered. Examples include how he came into the stares whether he is already I. Remov river dings and what he had done while here. There may be options but think of it like a puzzle you need all the ibexes first. Many immigration attorneys offer a free first consultation. Some even offer Skype consults. I recommend sitting down with one. There are quite a few on avvo such as Carla Prosper or Eva Kozlowska. They will analyze the facts and give you an honest realistic answer. I hope this was helpful. Good luck

    The above answer does not constitute an attorney client relationship and/ or retention of counsel. This answer is... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,916 answers this week

3,399 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,916 answers this week

3,399 attorneys answering