How can insurance fin out about past driving records for a personal injury lawsuit?

Brooklyn, NY |

I got into slip and fall accident in 2010 in nyc. I filed a personal injury lawsuit. I used to live in New jersey before the accident happened. In 2007 and 2008 i got into a car accident. The insurance company only found out about the one car accident. How can they find out about the other accident as well, if i lived on a different address? It was my mistake I didn't say something because I didnt think my injuries were important and now I m afraid of the consequences. I went through a spinal surgery in may of 2012. What should I do please help

do you have an attorney? If not, then hire one

Yes i do have one but I dont trust him anymore.

Yefim Rubinov

Yefim Rubinov

consider hiring another.

There is a national database run by ISO, an ins services company. The insurers report claims there, and then insurers can contact them to see if any claimant has had prior claims. I beleive they are in New Jersey. Google them. You can request a history on yourself, for a fee.

My attorney did that ISO search and it only showed the one accident. For some reason because of the address change. Now can the insurance find out in any other way?

Robert Bruce Kopelson

Robert Bruce Kopelson

There are many ways it could come out. If its not in the ISO records, they could still find it. If you end up in litigation, they could subpena your ins co records. They can ask in deposition, or in interrogotories. They may see a reference to the other accident in one of your medical records, employment record, health insurance record, etc. It really depends upon the litigation rules in your jurisdiction, and whether there is any reference to both car accidents in any records. It may not be a big deal if you didnt have much injury in that accident, and you have proof that this slip/fall directly led to the need for surgery. You should talk to your lawyer about this. He/she needs to know. Dont hide it from your atty.

Thank you so much for your help

There are insurance databases that track prior claim history. Speak with an personal injury attorney in you area.

Mr. Pascale is licensed to practice law in the State of New York. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and time-lines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Pascale strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to insure proper advice is received.

Consult with your attorney on this

With your driver’s license number they may be able to get the information from your State agency that keeps your driver license records.

DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.

There is a national data base that the carriers all enter claim information in. I believe it is triggered by name and date of birth/ss#. You should discuss this with your lawyer.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

The iso claim search only showed the one accident... but I received treatment for the second accident as well. Is there a possibility that the insurance company knows about it but its doesn't reveal it? Where is your office in Manhattan?

You indicate that you have filed suit already. In that case, you really need to be advised by your current attorney. You are on a number of topics here and only your attorney has the big picture and can properly advise you. Why are you not asking him/her? If you have, the second question is why are you not listening to his/her advice. Perhaps its time to find a new attorney?

This communication does not create an attorney/client relationship. My firm is a second generation family firm successfully handling personal injruy and medical malpractice cases for over 35 years. "Let Our Family Help Your Family" www.kileylawfirm.com 516 466-7900

When it comes to past medical history in a personal injury case honesty is the best policy. Concealing a prior injury to the same area or related areas can prove fatal to a personal injury claim. However, the fact that an individual may have injured the same body party previously does not preclude a recovery if the lawyer is aware of it and appropriate arguments of exacerbation or new injury are presented to the jury by an appropriate expert. Rest assured big brother is watching, the central index bureau data bank does exist and in more than 99% of cases concealing past medical history will be uncovered.