How can insurance fin out about past driving records for a personal injury lawsuit?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Brooklyn, NY

I got into slip and fall accident in 2010 in nyc. I filed a personal injury lawsuit. I used to live in New jersey before the accident happened. In 2007 and 2008 i got into a car accident. The insurance company only found out about the one car accident. How can they find out about the other accident as well, if i lived on a different address? It was my mistake I didn't say something because I didnt think my injuries were important and now I m afraid of the consequences. I went through a spinal surgery in may of 2012. What should I do please help

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

15

Answered . There is a national data base that the carriers all enter claim information in. I believe it is triggered by name and date of birth/ss#. You should discuss this with your lawyer.

2. Yefim Rubinov

12

Answered . do you have an attorney? If not, then hire one

3. Brian C. Pascale

Pro

12

Answered . There are insurance databases that track prior claim history. Speak with an personal injury attorney in you area.

4. Michael J Palumbo

Pro

12

Answered . Consult with your attorney on this

5. Robert Bruce Kopelson

13

1

Answered . There is a national database run by ISO, an ins services company. The insurers report claims there, and then insurers can contact them to see if any claimant has had prior claims. I beleive they are in New Jersey. Google them. You can request a history on yourself, for a fee.

6. James D. Kiley

10

Answered . You indicate that you have filed suit already. In that case, you really need to be advised by your current attorney. You are on a number of topics here and only your attorney has the big picture and can properly advise you. Why are you not asking him/her? If you have, the second question is why are you not listening to his/her advice. Perhaps its time to find a new attorney?

7. David J. McCormick

11

Answered . With your driver’s license number they may be able to get the information from your State agency that keeps your driver license records.

8. James Joseph Cupero

Pro

5

Answered . When it comes to past medical history in a personal injury case honesty is the best policy. Concealing a prior injury to the same area or related areas can prove fatal to a personal injury claim. However, the fact that an individual may have injured the same body party previously does not preclude a recovery if the lawyer is aware of it and appropriate arguments of exacerbation or new injury are presented to the jury by an appropriate expert. Rest assured big brother is watching, the central index bureau data bank does exist and in more than 99% of cases concealing past medical history will be uncovered.