How can I word the Request for Domicile Change best interesting factors? What should I focus on?

Asked about 2 years ago - Flint, MI

My daughter is 10-years-old and wishes to move, though she has normal concerns. The move is 1550 miles away and I plan on being married. Her father is regularly involved. I am flexible on visitation and will travel back during spring and winter breaks allowing him extra time with our daughter & will pay summer travle costs. (i) I will be able to go from working 52 hours a week to being a stay-at-home mom. (ii) I will go from having a 900 sq. ft. apt. to a large home. (iii) My daughter will be able to attend an excellent public school or, possibly, a private school. (iv) My income will increase drastically and this will benefit my daughter. (v) Unlike my ex or myself, my fiance has a large, close extended family.

1. Brenda J. Richard

Answered . You should check with Genesee County Friend of the Court to see if they have a form you can use if you intend to represent yourself. However, I would not recommend that you proceed on this type of a motion without an attorney.

Have you spoken with your ex to see if he will voluntarily allow the move? If he's willing to do so, and the two of you can agree on a parenting time schedule and transportation concerns, you'd only need an attorney to draft the agreement . . . meaning minimal costs.

Brenda Richard
    (248) 355-1800

2. Neil M. Colman

Pro

Answered . Candidly, you should engage an experienced family law attorney for representation in this case, as the distance and other facts you set forth do not guarantee that you'll will be successful, especially with a very involved parent. The fact that you plan on being married does not mean that you will, in fact, marry. The large extended family is really irrelevant. This is a very important matter and so much has been recently addressed in cases reported. Do yourself a favor and hire an attorney. If money is an issue, have your "intended" pay the family lawyer for services to be rendered.

Neil M. Colman
    www.divlawyer@gmail.com