How can I word my will to allow my companion to stay in my house til she dies or moves and then pass it to my sons?

Asked about 2 years ago - Lexington, SC

My will leaves my estate to my two boys, but I would like to allow my live in female companion to stay in my house til she dies and then pass it on to them and not my companions family.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Evan Kyle Guthrie

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . I would advise extreme caution in trying to write your own will as there are many risks involved and things that could unintentionally go wrong. An estate planning attorney could best solve this situation and determine the best course of action.

    What you are talking about sounds like it could best be solved by a living trust or a will with a life estate provision. This would allow for the companion to live in the house for the remainder of her life and then pass to your sons on her death. There are many details and facts that have to be worked out and I recommend you consult and attorney instead of doing it your self.

    Evan Guthrie Law Firm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of South Carolina. The Evan Guthrie Law Firm practices in the areas of estate planning probate wills living trust special needs trusts personal injury accident and divorce and family law and entertainment law. For further information visit his website at . Follow on Twitter!/ekglaw Like on Facebook . Avvo LinkedIn Google + Evan Guthrie Law Firm 164 Market Street Suite 362 Charleston SC 29401 843-926-3813

    This answer is for informational purposes only. This answer does not constitute legal advice, create an attorney-... more
  2. Stephen Fulton Shaw

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . It can be done through a trust or the deed to the house. The least desirable way would be through a will.

    If this answer was, in any way, helpful - please click a positive feedback below. This is a general discussion... more
  3. James P. Frederick

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . There are a number of ways of accomplishing this. Many of them would not need to be done through a Will, and that might allow you to achieve your objectives without the need for probate administration upon your death.

    You should meet with an estate planning attorney to make sure that this is set up properly. That way, you know that both your companion and your sons will be protected. One of the issues you will need to sort out is whether or not you want your sons to have your personal belongings. If you do not handle that properly, they may receive nothing.

    In addition to whatever you do with the house, you should definitely have a durable power of attorney drawn up, for both health care and financial matters. This will clarify who would have control of your medical treatment and your finances, in the event that you become incapacitated. It could be your companion, your son(s), or someone else completely. If you do not have a power of attorney, no one will understand your intentions, and probate might be needed, to appoint a guardian and/or conservator for you.

    James Frederick

    *** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,465 answers this week

3,262 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,465 answers this week

3,262 attorneys answering