How can I waive the two year restriction of my previous J1 visa if I plan on working in the US eventually?

Asked 7 months ago - Irvine, CA

I am a Chinese college student in Shanghai. I plan on applying for a F1 visa and studying for a mater's program in the US next year. Ultimately, I want to acquire a H1B visa. However, my previous J1 visa from Sep to Dec 2012 requires me to stay in China for two years after my short-term exchange program at UC-Irvine. If I go to the US again and hold a F1 visa, can I apply for non-objection letter to waive the two year restriction? Do I need to get an offer from an emloyer in the US to apply for the non-objection letter?

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

3

1

Answered . Applying for no-objection might work, unless you are in DOS "skills list".
    No, you do NOT need any "offer" from any employer to apply for the waiver based on "no objection".

2. Alexander Joseph Segal

5

Answered . Had your government sponsored your program, then yes, which is not the case with UC-Irvine.

3. F. J. Capriotti III

Answered . You can try.

But be forewarned, the PROC doesn't like these waivers and may resist.

As difficult as it may seem now ... you might be wise to wait until December 2014 before you return to the US.