How can I verified if he has a home improvement license valid and full insurance coverage ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Flushing, NY

The defendant gave receipts copy when i paid him in advance but those copies has the defendant address and home improvement license number stamp. How do I verified is that license is valid ? And he also mentioned he was insurance for 2 millions dollars. I asked him to give me the insurance number to called and tried to solve this situation and he told me he wasn't allowed to give me the insurance number information. So my guess is that he doesn't have any insurance.

1. Yan Margolin

Answered . If you have his license number, contact the licensing authority; they will help you, or in the very least, make him realize how serious you are. Otherwise, you can always sue, as he will be compelled to hand over such information in discovery.

2. Stuart Lewis Peacock

1

1

Answered . Typically, where a contract requires that insurance be provided by a contractor, a certificate of insurance is issued by the insurance broker. Refusal or failure to provide a certificate is a red flag.

3. Benjamin P. Cloward

Answered . I agree that the refusal to provide you with information for you to independently verify sounds fishy to me.