How can I use my spouses social security? If my spouse is younger than I, do I have to wait until they turn 62 to if I'm 69?

Spokane, WA |

I am 10 yrs older than spouse, do I have to wait until spouse is 62 or 67 or whatever the age is for me to collect on their social security & is it the same amount as my spouse will collect, or less for me?

I am not 69 yet, that was an exanple, I am in my 50's, I am trying to find out if I don't have income myself/housewife working only parttime, can I get ss when I turn 62, on my husbands ss, if he is 10 yrs younger than me and not 62 yet, or do I have to wait until he is of age to collect for me to collect on his ss.

1. Contact social security and find out if you qualify NOW for your own social security payment. Payments depend on what you contributed during your work life. If you have never worked, then I believe you are dependent on payments made to your spouse. Although a person is eligible for payments at reaching 62, the person will be paid more if they wait until they are 65 + a set number of months which depends on the year of their birth.You might find my legal guide on selecting and hiring a lawyer helpful.
    You might find my legal guide on Is it Legal? Is it Illegal? helpful.
    You might find my legal guide on the understanding the different court systems helpful.
    You might find my legal guide on legal terms used in litigation helpful
    (Even if you are not filing a lawsuit this information can be useful).

LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Mr. Sarno is licensed to practice law in NJ and NY. His response here is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter in question. Many times the questioner may leave out details which would make the reply unsuitable. Mr. Sarno strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their own state to acquire more information about this issue.