How can I travel with my deffered action and what could count as a valid excuse to travel

Asked over 1 year ago - Aurora, CO

I have a us citizen daughter in Mexico and I want to go see her and also my grama will be getting a surgery for her eyes would thus count at all for me to abtain a advanced parole

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

8

Answered . DACA is not status. It is merely a "deferment" from removal, for 2 years. I would be grateful to have obtained it, and having been able to obtain a work permit, etc. I wouldn't push my luck too far and also want to travel at this point. Wait. As a DACA recipient you stand first in line to adjust your status once Immigration Reform finally passes before the end of this year. Once you obtain status, you will then have all the time in the world to travel as much as you want. Just don't risk it now.

2. Christopher Daniel Leroi

6

Answered . Mr.Behar is absolutely correct. Do not risk traveling out of the US at this point, as it might jeopardize your immigration.

3. Laura L Lichter

4

Answered . Many DACA grantees are applying for advance parole, allowing them to travel outside the US for work, education or humanitarian purposes. There are risks to travel, but potentially some benefits too, which have recently been clarified by USCIS.

I know it's tempting to just flip in an application on your own, but go talk to a lawyer and get information specific to your case before making a decision.

4. C. C. Abbott

4

Answered . There have been a few DACA aliens who have successfully obtained advanced parole. One main concern is the fear that if a form of immigration reform is passed there may be a residency requirement that could be very strict. Thus, it is possible but as my colleagues stated not advisable.