How can I travel abroad after I got political asylum?

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

I was granted political asylum two months ago in New York and now I want to travel (not in the country from which I asked the asylum) for 4 to 6 months in South America. How do I get my travel passport if I still need to apply for a green card in a year? Where can I read more information about it? Do I need a lawyer for that process(of getting a travel passport)?

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

7

Best Answer

Answered . FIle for and get Refugee Travel Document and travel away. You should have asked the attorney who represented you in your asylum case. You can only do brief and casual trips. Remember that. 6 months is neither brief nor casual.

2. John Grayson Davidson

Pro

4

Answered . You use your own passport, and you need a refugee travel document. Google USCIS form I-131. I think I might consult an attorney for this one. It might be a few hundred bucks.

Free Consultation Anywhere in USA | 626-399-4194 |ICannHelpYouNow.com | John1Davidson@gmail.com
  3. Charles Richard Conroy

Pro

1

1

Answered . Congratulations on being granted asylum. As for your question, you will need to get a refugee travel document. My suggestion is to go to the USCIS website and follow the instructions for completing Form I-131. Once you have the form ready to go, do yourself a favor and have an immigration attorney review it for you. It should cost very little or nothing at all.

Do not take long trips. Keep it short, less than six months. And remember, you'll be eligible to apply for lawful permanent residence one year after you have been granted asylum. I strongly recommend that you do so immediately.

Have a great trip, and enjoy your newfound freedom.

4. Sreenivasarao Vepachedu

1

2

Answered . If you hold refugee or asylee status and are not a permanent resident, you must have a refugee travel document to return to the United States.