Skip to main content

How can I travel abroad after I got political asylum?

New York, NY |
Filed under: Political asylum

I was granted political asylum two months ago in New York and now I want to travel (not in the country from which I asked the asylum) for 4 to 6 months in South America. How do I get my travel passport if I still need to apply for a green card in a year? Where can I read more information about it? Do I need a lawyer for that process(of getting a travel passport)?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Best answer

    FIle for and get Refugee Travel Document and travel away. You should have asked the attorney who represented you in your asylum case. You can only do brief and casual trips. Remember that. 6 months is neither brief nor casual.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

  2. You use your own passport, and you need a refugee travel document. Google USCIS form I-131. I think I might consult an attorney for this one. It might be a few hundred bucks.

    Free Consultation Anywhere in USA | 626-399-4194 | |

  3. If you hold refugee or asylee status and are not a permanent resident, you must have a refugee travel document to return to the United States.

    This is not a legal advice or solicitation, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Consult with an attorney. I work for Cardinal Risk Mangement and Cardinal Intellectual Property, IP service companies, but not law firms . I also am the president of Vepachedu Educational Foundation Inc., which is a non profit educational foundation. I also write cultural and scientific compliations for the foundaiton. I also teach at Northwestern university as a guest lecturer. I also provide some pro-bono guidance on immigration and other issues through Indian American Bar Association. I also have a contract with Cardinal Law Group, a law firm, for IP projects. All this information is on my profile at Avvo and also at Linkedin.

  4. Congratulations on being granted asylum. As for your question, you will need to get a refugee travel document. My suggestion is to go to the USCIS website and follow the instructions for completing Form I-131. Once you have the form ready to go, do yourself a favor and have an immigration attorney review it for you. It should cost very little or nothing at all.

    Do not take long trips. Keep it short, less than six months. And remember, you'll be eligible to apply for lawful permanent residence one year after you have been granted asylum. I strongly recommend that you do so immediately.

    Have a great trip, and enjoy your newfound freedom.

    FREE INITIAL CONSULTATION AVAILABLE. Phone (646) 663-5902. Offices in Queens and Manhattan. Website located at Our responses on this site do not create an attorney-client relationship. Our responses on this website are for educational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. Immigration and nationality law is a complex area of law which requires careful review of a person's particular circumstances. Do not rely on any answers provided on this site to make a decision on your case. For proper legal advice, you may contact us for a free initial consultation.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics