How can I travel abroad?

Saint Louis, MO |

I am a Green Card holder via Asylum. My home country passport expired.

Perhaps you could obtain a passport from your country's consulate or embassy here in the United States. It is not advisable for you to travel back to your home country.

What is the purpose of Refugee Travel Document? We are not going back to our country. We would like to travel for vacation. Do we still need home country passport? Can we travel with green card and Refugee Travel Document?

Heather Roberts Majam

Heather Roberts Majam

If you were the principal asylum applicant, I would say that It is actually NOT a good idea to apply to renew your passport through a consulate/embassy as that could cause problems. If you were a derivative, it probably would not be a problem. In general, if someone obtains lawful permanent residence based on asylum, they can apply for a refugee travel document. It is up to the country you are traveling to as to whether they will accept that document in lieu of a passport. Keep in mind without knowing all of the details of your situation, I cannot provide you with legal advice. Your best bet is to contact an immigration attorney and consult with them after they know all of the details.

Could you renew your passport? Best Wishes!
Best Wishes!
Lalita Haran
Attorney, Immigration Law
13295 Illinois St Ste 128
Carmel IN 46032
Ph:(317) 660-6174
www.haranlaw.com