How can I transfer my Tax ID number to a different business?

Asked over 3 years ago - Houston, TX

I tried to open a business last year, at that time I got a Tax ID number but I never start the business. Today I'm ready to open my business but I already have my Tax Id number for my old business that I never started. How can I transfer that number to my new business?

1. Steven J. Fromm

Best Answer

Answered . Do not consider doing this for one minute. Get a new EIN through the IRS website. It is really easy to do so and you do not want to even contemplate using the old one.

Hope this helps. If you think this post was helpful, please check the thumbs up (helpful) tab below and/or designate my answer as best answer. Thanks.
    Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is sjfpc@comcast.net , his website is www.sjfpc.com. and his blog is

2. Eliz C A Johnson

Answered . You don't. The TIN is unique to the type of business and to the specific one for which you applied. It is easy to reapply for a new number and can usually be done on-line in moments. You do not want to confuse the records by reusing it.