How can I transfer my probation to Texas from denver?

Asked over 2 years ago - Denver, CO

I'm on probation for DUI here in Colorado I've completed all community service hours and MADD panel I have not had any missed or hot ua's or ba's I've completed level 2 alcohol classes and now on my 52 hours of therapy which I have 14 hours done. Is there any way I can move to Austin Texas?? From what I heard is they hVe to let me move if I get a job down there is this true?? I would love to get out of this crappy state. Thanx

1. John Lawrence Buckley

6

Answered . It is possible to have your probation transferred via the interstate compact. However, both states must agree. From the facts that you have listed, there doesn't seem to be much reason for them to object.

Another alternative, should the judge be so inclined, is to terminate the supervision requirement so that you no longer have to report to a probation officer. Rather, the judge essentially supervises your probation. What this effectively means is that they will review your file from time to time, most likely close to the end of your term, and see if you have completed all the terms of probation and not had any new violations of law.

2. Christopher Daniel Leroi

6

Answered . My colleagues are accurate. You can move out of state as long as you get court permission and consent to do so. If you are on supervised probation, they would need to transfer it to TX and TX would have to accept the transfer.

3. Aaron Garth Norris

5

Answered . You will need to ask for and get the go ahead from your probation officer and permission from the court. Also the state of Texas will have to accept you into their probation program. This is not a sure thing, but it happens with some regularity.
    If you are on unsupervised probation, you will need to address your move with the court only.
    It is not true that anyone has to agree to transfer your probation down to Texas if you get a job down there, but having already secured employment will probably make the transfer easier to justify.

4. Benjamin J Lieberman

3

Answered . The answer is yes you would be able to move but that would require with your probation being terminated or I being transferred to Texas. Either way your best bet would be to discuss this with your PO. S/he would be in the best position to assist you if s/he were so inclined. If probation isn't being cooperative you may wish to consider contacting an attorney who could then make the necessary applications to the court.