How can I terminate biological father's right to my 6 yr old son?

Manchester, MO |

The biological father was in prison when he was born and has never met him. I cancelled child support order while he was in prison so I could modify it when he was released and actually making an income. He's been out for over 2 years (he did 4 years in federal prison for felony drug charges)and has never tried to see him. My husband has raised him since birth and my son only knows him as dad. He wants to adopt him and change his last name to ours. We are low income though and cant afford a lawyer. The biological dad just did time again from researching. He was just released on another felony charge and sentencing is set for May 2015 pending post-plea drug court. Does any of this help my Husband's and I case? Please help us.

1. You aren't going to have a case until you have a lawyer. You might try legal aid or another charty law group. Or start saving money for an attorney.

2. I encourage you to speak to someone in your church or local charitable organization. Be prepared to work off your bill in labor or otherwise as there are no free lunches.

NOTE: The use of the Internet for communications with the firm or this attorney will not establish an attorney-client relationship and messages containing confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent.