How can I tell that I'm working with a good, reputable car accident attorney?

I'm looking for a good auto accident attorney, but I don't really know what I should be looking for. Any hints would be very appreciated.

Littleton, CO -

Douglas A Thomas

Douglas A Thomas

Lawsuit / Dispute Attorney - Centennial, CO

Ask questions and seek references. Generally, the lawyer should have five years of practice and should have real trial experience. If your lawyer has never been to trial or it's been five years, those are bad signs. Avvo does check for negative history with discipline but that only goes so far. Ask about fees, wins and losses and settlement. More importantly, ask how the lawyer keeps the cases moving, when and how often you will hear from him or her and whether his staff will do the work. Ask what to expect from his staff. Once you asked a bunch of questions like this, you will know the answer.

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Business Attorney - Greenwood Village, CO

My colleague is correct. With all of the internet marketing and advertising, the best way to find out about an attorney is still word of mouth and asking around in your local community. Meet with the attorney and make sure that it is a good fit personality wise. What practical experience do they have? How many years of experience? Too many people think that fees are the key to judging a good attorney, when that is not accurate.

Anne Whalen Gill

Anne Whalen Gill

Appeals Lawyer - Castle Rock, CO

You need to review both his trial experience and his ability to settle cases. A great many cases are properly settleed short of a trial. Ask what factors determine whether you should settle or go to trial.