Skip to main content

How can I sue my immigration attorney?

Key West, FL |
Filed under: Immigration

I have gone through 2 attorneys already for my immigration and thought I finally got a good one. Turns out they are all the same kind. My work permit and drivers license expires next week and nothing has been done for my permanent resident card either as the attorney promised. I have spent good $20,000 for my immigration and worked my butt off to obtain stablized life in the States. For some people $20,000 might not be too much money but for me it is. It is so unfair for attorneys to take advantage of immigrants who is trying to live a normal life. If anybody has advice for my situation please email me at Thank you so much for your advice in advance.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. I a sorry to hear that.
    You can file a complaint to the local bar association. If your lawyer is licensed in FL. FL bar association will help you to resolve your problem.

  2. You would need to post and contact a legal malpractice attorney.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

  3. This is not an immigration law question.

  4. I don’t think anyone would argue with you that $20,000 is a lot of money. However, you present no facts about your case, only complaints. You may had lawyers who didn’t do much for the money you paid them or you have an extremely difficult case and the fees you paid were fair for the amount of work done but ended unsuccessfully. Based upon the amount of money you paid I would venture to guess that your case does not fall into the simple/easy category. I would suggest that you consult with another immigration attorney (check out his/her qualifications very carefully) to determine whether the strategy employed by your prior counsel was meritorious. If that attorney advises you otherwise, then you may want to consider consulting with an attorney who prosecutes legal malpractice claims. Of course you will want to check out that attorney’s qualifications as well.

    While written by an attorney who is a Florida Bar Certified Specialist in Immigration and Nationality Law, the statements herein should not be construed as legal advice. No attorney/client relationship has been created without a formal consultation with the attorney and the attorney has agreed to accept your case.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics