How can I sue my immigration attorney?

Asked about 3 years ago - Key West, FL

I have gone through 2 attorneys already for my immigration and thought I finally got a good one. Turns out they are all the same kind. My work permit and drivers license expires next week and nothing has been done for my permanent resident card either as the attorney promised. I have spent good $20,000 for my immigration and worked my butt off to obtain stablized life in the States. For some people $20,000 might not be too much money but for me it is. It is so unfair for attorneys to take advantage of immigrants who is trying to live a normal life. If anybody has advice for my situation please email me at christinejek@cbschmitt.com. Thank you so much for your advice in advance.

1. Jeffrey Adam Devore

Answered . I don’t think anyone would argue with you that $20,000 is a lot of money. However, you present no facts about your case, only complaints. You may had lawyers who didn’t do much for the money you paid them or you have an extremely difficult case and the fees you paid were fair for the amount of work done but ended unsuccessfully. Based upon the amount of money you paid I would venture to guess that your case does not fall into the simple/easy category. I would suggest that you consult with another immigration attorney (check out his/her qualifications very carefully) to determine whether the strategy employed by your prior counsel was meritorious. If that attorney advises you otherwise, then you may want to consider consulting with an attorney who prosecutes legal malpractice claims. Of course you will want to check out that attorney’s qualifications as well.

2. J Charles Ferrari

1

Answered . You would need to post and contact a legal malpractice attorney.

3. Gen Kimura

Answered . I a sorry to hear that.
    You can file a complaint to the local bar association. If your lawyer is licensed in FL. FL bar association will help you to resolve your problem.

4. Linda Yin Liang

Answered . This is not an immigration law question.