Skip to main content

How can I sue in US courts a person who is a foreign national and the law violation happened in another country?

San Jose, CA |

It is about a physical brutality perpetrated by a foreign lawyer against an US citizen during a trial which took place at the Supreme Court of that foreign country?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Not an immigration law question. Contact an international law attorney. There are some very good ones to be found in Avvo. repost in the international law section.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


Under the facts you give, you would have to sue in "that foreign country"

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


Please contact an attorney in that country.

Business Immigration Attorney. For H, L, J, EB5s, PERM and EB1/2/3 Petitions. Call 800-688-7892 or visit Law Office of Anu Gupta. The advice suggested here is for general information only and not to be construed as legal advice.


Unless the person has minimal ties to the U.S., you cannot sue them in the U.S., there is no jurisdiction.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


In order to sue that person you need to establish that there is subject matter jurisdiction as well as personal jurisdiction so that a court can enter a valid, enforceable judgment on a claim. Personal jurisdiction is the constitutional requirement that a defendant have certain minimum contacts with the forum where the claim is filed. Subject-matter jurisdiction is the requirement that the court have power to hear the specific kind of claim that is brought to that court. In your posting you are saying that the attorney lives in a foreign country and the act was perpetrated in a foreign country. Most likely the foreign country where the act occurred has both personal and subject matter jurisdiction. You don't provide enough information to make a complete assessment. I recommend that you consult with an attorney in that country.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer