How can i sue an uninsured motorist?

Denver, CO |

I bought a motorcycle and was riding home when a truck ran a stop sign. I swerved to avoid hitting the truck and caused me to slide and hit two parked cars. the motorist in the truck continued driving and was later caught and arrested for running a stop sign, no license, and hit and run. I was taken to the hospital for my injuries. I had my motorcycle for less than 24 hours so I hadn't got insurance on it.

You should contact a personal injury attorney in your area. You might also look at your own insurance policy. Some states provide for policies to include coverage for uninsured motorists (UM Coverage). I'm in New York, so I'm not sure if you'll have that in Colorado. This coverage stands in the place of the coverage that should have been provided by the uninsured person that caused the accident. Using this type of insurance should not make your rates increase as you can only use it if you are not at fault.

Additionally, an experienced attorney can get to the bottom of the other person's coverage. Even if the other driver had no license, there might be coverage on the vehicle.

I am not admitted to practice in Florida.

2. How can you sue? You file a lawsuit with a good personal injury attorney. The fact that you had no insurance is bad news -- check with your auto carrier to see if UM coverage would apply in your case!

Best of luck!

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.

3. I agree with my colleagues that you need to hire a personal injury attorney. Many of the ones on Avvo are excellent. I think that Mr. Deasy does personal injury work and you simply can not go wrong with him. Another good personal injury attorney is Gregory Graf. Best of luck

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in his legal services, feel free to call Chris at (303) 409-7635 at his law office in the Denver Tech Center. All initial consultations are free of charge.

4. It is possible that the uninsured motorist coverage on your automobile covers you for uninsured motorists even when you are on a motorcycle. Contact a local personal injury lawyer who will give you a free consultation