How can i sue an uninsured motorist?

Asked about 2 years ago - Denver, CO

I bought a motorcycle and was riding home when a truck ran a stop sign. I swerved to avoid hitting the truck and caused me to slide and hit two parked cars. the motorist in the truck continued driving and was later caught and arrested for running a stop sign, no license, and hit and run. I was taken to the hospital for my injuries. I had my motorcycle for less than 24 hours so I hadn't got insurance on it.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Daniel Nelson Deasy

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . How can you sue? You file a lawsuit with a good personal injury attorney. The fact that you had no insurance is bad news -- check with your auto carrier to see if UM coverage would apply in your case!

    Best of luck!

    In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship.... more
  2. Stephen Boyd

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . You should contact a personal injury attorney in your area. You might also look at your own insurance policy. Some states provide for policies to include coverage for uninsured motorists (UM Coverage). I'm in New York, so I'm not sure if you'll have that in Colorado. This coverage stands in the place of the coverage that should have been provided by the uninsured person that caused the accident. Using this type of insurance should not make your rates increase as you can only use it if you are not at fault.

    Additionally, an experienced attorney can get to the bottom of the other person's coverage. Even if the other driver had no license, there might be coverage on the vehicle.

    I am not admitted to practice in Florida.
  3. Christopher Daniel Leroi

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues that you need to hire a personal injury attorney. Many of the ones on Avvo are excellent. I think that Mr. Deasy does personal injury work and you simply can not go wrong with him. Another good personal injury attorney is Gregory Graf. Best of luck

    The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in... more
  4. Andrew Ronald Gillin


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . It is possible that the uninsured motorist coverage on your automobile covers you for uninsured motorists even when you are on a motorcycle. Contact a local personal injury lawyer who will give you a free consultation

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,648 answers this week

3,117 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,648 answers this week

3,117 attorneys answering