Skip to main content

How can I sue a person or place a hold on his future driver license when he changed his phone number and is hiding from me?

Bellflower, CA |

I was rear ended while waiting for a red light by this guy who then did a hit and run on me. I had to chase him for almost three blocks until he finally stopped. I ended up calling LAPD and the officer ended up arresting him because he had two warrants, not because he fled the scene. I ended up seeking medical help the next day because my back and right hand were hurting. I lost three days of work wages, paid for my medical bills, and had to pay for a rental car because my car was being taken care in a collision shop. Since the guy never called me even once to check up on me, I phoned him almost two weeks after to seek for repayment. Can you believe he changed his phone number and is hiding from me. My auto insurance discovered that this guy didn't have auto insurance.

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Do yourself a favor and hire a personal injury attorney. There are ways to serve this guy and get a judgment against him, however, if he did not have insurance, it may not be worth the effort. Hopefully you have UIM coverage. With regard to your question, if you filed a police report, the DMV will be notified of his lack of insurance and will take the appropriate action. Best of luck.

    I am licensed in California, therefore, my answers are based on general prinicpals of law or California law, which may not be applicable in your jurisdiction. Answers posted to Avvo are for general information only. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. Every case depends is fact dependent, and responses are limited to and is based on the information you posted. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.

  2. Unfortunately this guys looks like someone that will be very hard to collect from. I assume you had insurance on your car and if so, you might have coverage from your own policy for your medical bills and to compensate you for your pain and suffering. You should find a local lawyer and go over the situation. It sounds like you don't have collision coverage to fix your car - but if you do, that should cover your repairs.

  3. Did you have UM (un-insured) coverage? If so, they will cover your damages. Also, if you got his plates, we can find him.

  4. Personal injury attorneys make it their business to know who to sue, what damages to seeks, and how to go about obtaining compensation for their clients - one area for the credit they deserve is overlooked is locating and serving the defendant who does not want to be served. Each attorney will probably have his or her own methods, but they likely share the following: skip tracing, private investigators, Internet (Facebook provides some great information - not only on locations but assets, jobs, and much more), DMV records, police reports, pressuring served defendants into giving up contact information for other defendants, etc.

    The best part about hiring a personal injury attorney is that we offer free consultations and should we accept a case (and the client accepts us) we work on contingency. Thus, there is absolutely nothing to fear in calling us.

    Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D. ... Attorney at Law, Physician, Broker... Fransen & Molinaro, LLP... 980 Montecito Drive, Suite 206... Corona, CA 92879... (951)520-9684... / "When you need a lawyer, call the Doctor... Call Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D... Call (888)MDJDLAW." ... * This post and all others I make on Internet are for informational purposes only. None of the information or materials I post are legal advice. Nothing I post as comments, answers, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While I try to be accurate, I do not guarantee accuracy... ** Fransen & Molinaro, LLP practices in the areas of personal injury, medical malpractice, and real estate law.

  5. Most attorneys have a private investigator whom they work with to find people like this. Best of luck.

    Attorney Stacy E. Pepper is licensed in all State and Federal Courts in Mississippi. He is a founding Partner in the law firm of Pepper & Odom, P.C. Nothing posted here constitutes any attorney client relationship and is meant for educational purposes only. Office hours are 8:00 a.m till 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Phone: 601-914-9219 Facsimile: 888-456-2160

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics