How can I sue a former tenant for damages, beyond the security deposit, without an attorney?

Asked over 1 year ago - Rochester Hills, MI

My former tenant was in my house for 12 months and left extensive damage. She didnt leave a forwarding address.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. John J. Keenan

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You can file suit on your own, but you will have to know where your tenant is currently residing so that you can serve them with the summons and complaint. You are also supposed to sue them in the district court ((if you are suing for $25, 000 or less) for the municipality in which they reside. If you are suing for more than $25,000, you have to file in circuit court.

    If the damages are only a few thousand dollars, you can sue in small claims, which is a little more "lay person friendly" than your other options, but you are still going to have to serve the defendant. Small claims is also filed in the district court where the defendant is residing.

    All of that said, there is a reason people go to law school. The practice of law is complicated and procedures are dictated by law and court rule. If you do not know what you are doing, it is easy for your case to get thrown out and you will have to start over. I would never advise a client to go to court without an attorney.

    Best of luck to you,

    John J. Keenan

    This response applies to Michigan law only. This initial response to your question(s) is for general purposes,... more
  2. James P. Frederick

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It depends on the damages. You can sue for up to $5k in small claims court, without an attorney. If the damages are more than that, you might be better off considering an attorney.

    James Frederick

    ***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******... more
  3. Christopher Daniel Leroi

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You can, but it is not advisable.

    The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in... more
  4. Gary Francis Kennedy II

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I would ask an attorney to consult with them for a reasonable fee to check out your options. You also need to find out where the person moved too. Call an attorney today.

    Kennedy Law Office, PLLC
    Free Consultations

    Disclaimer: No attorney-client relationship has been established. Please contact an attorney about your legal... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

18,549 answers this week

2,435 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

18,549 answers this week

2,435 attorneys answering