How can I sue a former tenant for damages, beyond the security deposit, without an attorney?

Asked 11 months ago - Rochester Hills, MI

My former tenant was in my house for 12 months and left extensive damage. She didnt leave a forwarding address.

1. John J. Keenan

4

Answered . You can file suit on your own, but you will have to know where your tenant is currently residing so that you can serve them with the summons and complaint. You are also supposed to sue them in the district court ((if you are suing for $25, 000 or less) for the municipality in which they reside. If you are suing for more than $25,000, you have to file in circuit court.

If the damages are only a few thousand dollars, you can sue in small claims, which is a little more "lay person friendly" than your other options, but you are still going to have to serve the defendant. Small claims is also filed in the district court where the defendant is residing.

All of that said, there is a reason people go to law school. The practice of law is complicated and procedures are dictated by law and court rule. If you do not know what you are doing, it is easy for your case to get thrown out and you will have to start over. I would never advise a client to go to court without an attorney.

Best of luck to you,

John J. Keenan

2. James P. Frederick

3

Answered . It depends on the damages. You can sue for up to $5k in small claims court, without an attorney. If the damages are more than that, you might be better off considering an attorney.

James Frederick

3. Christopher Daniel Leroi

Pro

4

Answered . You can, but it is not advisable.

4. Gary Francis Kennedy II

2

Answered . I would ask an attorney to consult with them for a reasonable fee to check out your options. You also need to find out where the person moved too. Call an attorney today.

Kennedy Law Office, PLLC
    586-580-1942
    Free Consultations