How can I stop someone from using my phone number on credit applications

Jersey Shore, PA |

I have been getting calls from debt collectors for some witch by the name of Marybeth Whiting. I don't know her, I've never given her a recommendation, and I've been at the same number for 20 years. How can I find her/report her.

She is using my phone number and then sticking her creditors.

There are a number of privacy torts you could pursue against her, but finding her would be an obstacle–apparently one that is baffling her creditors. Moreover, any judgment you win would be relatively small: indeed, aside from the nuisance of telling creditors that you are not Marybeth Whiting, you haven't identified any damages you've suffered at all. And even if you were able to track her down, sue her, and win, she seems to be in a significant amount of debt already, which would make collecting your judgment difficult.

As for reporting her; without more information than her name (which may be just as false as her telephone number,) you would be hard-pressed to do so. It's never a bad idea to contact your local police or the FBI to inform them of the fraud, but heavy lifting is probably better left to the debt collectors.

My comments are provided for general information purposes only. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, emails, or other communications through Avvo should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. The information on this website is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. Lawyers are licensed to practice on a state by state basis; do not act on information contained on this website without first speaking to an attorney licensed to practice in your state.