How can I stop my wife from delaying divorce any longer?

Asked about 3 years ago - Sandston, VA

My wife and I have been legally seperated for almost 3 years, we live in the state of Virginia. She recently sent over an offer back in February, that I agreed to, which included me signing over my parental rights. I agreed to the offer back in May, and I have yet to here anything back. She will not contact her lawyer, as he has called her several times and she is refusing to call back. I am wishing to get this over with a.s.a.p.! How do I get this done and over with?

So if I have agreed to this offer, and I request a trial hearing, will the judge enforce to offer giving.?

1. Mary G. Commander

1

Answered . First, you cannot "sign over parental rights", so I assume you mean that she would have custody. You would still have parental rights. I also assume that you do not have a lawyer and have been waiting for her to finalize the divorce. You cannot complain that it has been taking a long time when you have not been doing anything to get it concluded. Virginia has a ONE year waiting period. After that, either party can file for divorce. I suggest that you just go ahead and file for divorce, have her served and then she will have to respond.

This response does not create an attorney-client relationship and is intended for general information purposes only.
  2. Rixon Charles Rafter III

Answered . You should have had a finalized divorce years ago.

There are likely some significant issues (parental rights, ex parte divorce,etc.) you raise that make a simple online answer inappropriate. If you don't already have a lawyer, the Virginia State Bar has a referral service you can access at http://www.vsb.org/vlrs/ .

I recommend you contact a family law attorney in your area, and spend some time detailing the facts. Your attorney can explain what is possible and what steps you need to take.