How can I stop my old employer from harassing me?

Asked about 1 year ago - Sacramento, CA

I interned for a company last year. After quitting and taking a new job, I found they have a high profile criminal history. I told my old coworkers what I found. Now the owners are calling my new employer, and threatening to sue me and them. They've also called my home and husband at work. I sent a cease and desist contact letter, but it's continuing.
What can I do to stop this?

1. James Carl Eschen III

2

2

Best Answer

Answered . You need to see a lawyer who can send your old employer a strongly written letter that

1. If you lose your job with your new employer, you will bring an action for defamation and interference with contract;

2. If they continue to call your home and to call your husband at work, you will seek a restraining order. You will also contact law enforcement. Repeatedly calling with intention to annoy is a misdemeanor.

2. Marilynn Mika Spencer

4

1

Answered . After reading your back-and-forth with Mr. Eschen, I suggest you stop posting any more details here on Avvo. There is no confidentiality here and anyone can read what you write; certainly any company familiar with social media will know just how to do that.

I agree you need to retain an attorney to show your former employer you are serious. In addition to a potential harassment claim, you may also have claim for tortious interference with economic advantage, false light, or other torts. These are things to discuss with an attorney in private.